Battle of Kyoshi Island

Rein tugged Zuko's 'disguise' clothing closer to her body as the wind whipped at her skin

Rein tugged Zuko's 'disguise' clothing closer to her body as the wind whipped at her skin. It was a lot colder than she expected and she mentally slapped herself for not asking the prince for something a tad heavier. She followed along a dirt path that led to Kyoshi village slowly growing more and more paranoid as she kept hearing twigs snapping all around her. After the loudest noise yet, she whisked around to face whatever she felt was following her.

"Who's there?" Rein called out into the dark woods around her. All noise ceased and she heaved out a sigh, convincing herself she was crazy. "It's just the wind, Rein, relax."

"Kireina?"

Rein screamed and swung around to shoot the stranger with a gust of air. The person was sent flying into the nearest tree, grunting before sliding to the ground in pain. "Sokka?"

"That would be me." He groaned, rubbing his head. Rein dashed over to him, tackling the boy in a bone crushing hug. Sokka hissed in pain as she held him close but didn't want to tell her to get off of him.

"I'm so sorry! I thought you were a kidnapper or something!" Rein gushed, not letting go of him. "How are you? Is Aang with you?"

Sokka wrapped his arms around her in return, adoring the way her body felt pressed against his. "I'm better now." He sighed lovingly, "Aang was still asleep when I left, he's with my sister."

Rein pulled away to which Sokka pouted, "Katara is here too? I missed you guys so much!"

She helped Sokka back to his feet, dusting off the dirt and leaves littering his Water Tribe garb. She kept muttering apologies to him as she fixed his clothes and hair. Sokka's eyes remained on Rein the entire time, taking in everything he was seeing. She was no longer in her airbending clothing instead dressed in a plain black long sleeved top and black skin tight pants.

"Kireina, what happened to you?" Sokka questioned, taking hold of her wrists to stop her from picking at him. Rein hissed in pain as he gripped her still healing skin too hard. Without her consent, he slid the sleeves of her shirt up to reveal her bandaged arms. "Rein, what did they do to you?" He grew angry as he imagined the torture she must have gone through with the Fire Nation. Rein looked away, slightly embarrassed that she failed to keep herself safe while in the hands of Zuko. Sokka began to undo the gauze, unwrapping it delicately being sure not to hurt the injured girl standing before him.

"I have a hard time biting my tongue and payback was served." She answered honestly. Rein still hadn't looked at her injury, she knew she was permanently scarred and refused to come to terms with it. Sokka gasped after he undid the first dressing, witnessing a large handprint shaped scar sitting on her skin. Rein's stomach twisted at the first sight of the ghastly blemish, it was a lot more prominent than she originally thought.

"I should have protected you..." Sokka exhaled, a frown forming on his lips. "How did you get away?"

Rein thought for a second. Should she tell them that Zuko was after Aang or lie? She knew she shouldn't cover up for the firebender but it was almost like she lost total control of herself, "I escaped a few days ago while everyone was asleep."