Chapter 8: Rupert

Your POV

I shoot awake, waking up in a pool of sweat.

'It was just another nightmare.' I think and sigh in relief.

I get up, knowing I won't be able to go back to sleep.

'I wish I didn't give Connor back his jacket. I wish him or Dad were here to comfort me.'

I walk out of the room and try to remember where the main room is with all the other androids. As I walk around I peek into the empty rooms as I go. I spot a room that is cracked and I peek through the crack to see an android sitting by himself.

'That's the android from earlier. Rupert Travis.'

I lean on the door more to make sure it really is him but I accidentally open it further and fall forward.

'Oh shit.'

Rupert looks up, startled. He looks at me and recognizes me immediately and he jumps up. "You're the one from earlier. The one chasing me." He sounds scared.

I get up and brush myself off. "I'm not going to hurt you." I put my hands up to show him I mean no harm.

"Then why did you chase me? You're with that deviant hunter."

"I wanted to talk to you. I know you've done nothing wrong. I know that you just want to be free. I just wanted to talk."

"Talk about what?"

I open my mouth to say something but then nothing comes out.

'What did I want to talk to him about?'

I look at him and shrug. "I don't know. I guess I just wanted to talk."

Rupert still seems a little tense.

"If you're worried about Connor being here, he's not. It's just me." I tell him and I see him relax. "My name's (Y/n)," I say and walk up to him and hold my hand out. "(Y/n) Anderson."

"Rupert Travis." He says and shakes my hand. "But you probably already know that."

I nod and sit down on his mattress. I pat the space next to me and he sits down too.

"How did you get here?" He asks me.

I shrug. "I was following you but then I got tired so I just kept going straight hoping it would lead me somewhere."

"And they just let you stay?"

"Yeah. Although North wanted to kill me at first."

Rupert chuckles. "Shouldn't you be in bed? It's late."

"I was," I mumble, remembering the nightmare I just had.

Rupert seems to notice. "Your heart rate just increased."

I look at him. "Now you sound like Connor."

He ignores what I said and looks at me with a hint of concern. "Did you have a nightmare?"

I look away and pull my knees up to my chest, placing my chin on top of my knees. "Maybe," I mumble.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I shake my head in response.

Tears start forming in my eyes but I refuse to let them fall. I hate crying in front of people.

'Why can't these memories just go away?! I don't want them! I don't want to remember!'

There's a long moment of silence as we just sit there until Rupert stands up. I look up at him.

"Come on. Let's go grab you something to eat." He says and holds out his hand to me.