5 | #FreeVance

DesireeJanuary 28, 2019 (6:33 PM)

Desiree
January 28, 2019 (6:33 PM)

"Desiree."

My head shot up from my phone and to my bedroom door to see my mom standing there in her work clothes.

"Yes?"

"Why are you getting a letter from a prison?" She holds out an envelope.

"It's my prison pen pal," I responded casually.

"Your what?"

"Prison Pen pal," I got up off of my bed and walked up to her.

"Why the hell do you have a prison pen pal?" She asked while I retrieved the envelope from her.

I shrugged. "I don't have anything better to do."

"How long have you had this 'prison pen pal'?" She asked with a concerned look on her face.

"A few weeks."

"A few weeks?! Des, honey, you do realize that you're talking to a real life criminal."

"Mom, relax. I ain't tell him nothin too personal," I said.

"Him?"

"Mom, Chillout."

She gave me one last look before she stormed off into the direction of her room.

She finna be gone in the next couple hours anyway. I closed my room door and ripped open the letter. He responded. I ain't think he was gonna get the letter cause of the picture...I ain't know if the facility he's in allowed it.

'Wassgud Desi,

      Even tho you just asked me a buncha questions, I know you wanna know why I'm in here, You'd rather know who you really talkin to. To be honest, I ain't in here for nothing serious, I ain't rob, attempt or kill anyone. When I was 16, I got caught wit a 9mm over at my ex girlfriends crib. We was going through something at the time, I brought the gun but I wasn't gonna use it. She called the cops on me and said that I was 'trespassing'. I caught 7 years, I started off in juvie but they moved me to this prison when I hit 18. Good news is, im gettin out later this year. Right now as I'm writin to you, I'm serving my last year. Now, lemme get off of the 'depressing' topic and answer your questions.
      My birthday's November 1st. My middle name lowkey kinda stupid, it's Gerald. And I know damn well you finna say my whole name out loud now, Vance Gerald Wright. Uh...I was born in Boston but I moved here when I was 12 and No, I ain't a Atheist, I just don't like putting my religion out there. To be honest, I enjoy reading...ever since I been locked up in the dog pound, it's all I could do(maybe you can gimme a book suggestion sometime). Yo, I'd definitely be at the crib right now, chilling wit my guys while stayin outta trouble. That's all for today's letter, shordy. I just hope you living ya best life right now.

(P.S. you are very beautiful. Thx for puttin a lil trust in me)

—Vance'

Aww, thank you, I said in my head.

He's sounds so sweet and nice, I be forgettin he's an inmate sometimes.

I think it's getting to that point where I'm just straight excited when I get his response letter. And when I'm reading, I never want it to end.

The fact that he told me some stuff even tho I didn't ask him to, says a lil. But damn, 7 years just for getting caught with a firearm? That's crazy. He must've got charged for something else too.

End of Chapter