:::::Chapter 23:::::

Author's Note: Happy New Year!!! I just want to thank all the people who have been supporting this story by voting and commenting. It means a lot to me! I love you guys! :) It makes me so happy to see people voting on every chapter! :)

I hope all of you have a blessed year ahead!

"You said that you won't return until and unless you know why your mate is denying you. And you have returned within a week. So, should I take this as a sign that you finally know the reason why your mate is denying you?" She asks.

I look away from her and without feeling any emotions, I say, "I don't have a mate."

"But Alarick West-" I interrupt Mom.

"Who is Alarick West? I don't know any person who goes by that name."

"Chriselda, why are you saying that?" She asks feeling worried for me.

"Mom, I don't want to talk about it!" I say to end the conversation. I don't want to talk about Alarick West. I want to forget about him.

I stand up and I'm ready to leave the room but Mom grabs my arm. "Chriselda, talk to me. Baby, I'm worried. Please tell me what happened," she requests. I make a mistake of looking at her face. I shouldn't have looked at her. My Mom looks so worried due to my unexpected behavior.

I take a deep breath and sit back on the bed. I start telling her, "Today, I asked my so-called mate the reason why he's denying me. And he told me that he doesn't want a mate."

"Why doesn't he want a mate?"

"He doesn't wants a mate because he just doesn't wants a mate!"

"But-" Mom starts saying but I interrupt her again.

"Mom, you asked me what happened and I told you. Now, I don't want to talk about it anymore!" I snatch my arm from her grip and leave her room, joining Christina in the living room. We both peacefully watch the Disney movie.

● ● ● ● ●

Just as the end credits of the movie starts rolling, there's a knock at the front door. When I go and answer the door, I am immediately enveloped in a hug by Matthew and Darius, my two dear friends. When we all three pull away, Matt asks me, "Why didn't you straightaway come to the pack house?"

"I wanted to meet Christina," I reply. "By the way, how did you know that I was at my house?"

"The word spread in the pack that you have returned and we knew that if you didn't come to the pack house then you would probably be at your house or at Ciara's," Darius answers.

"Smarty pants," I playfully say.

"That I am," he replies. And we both start laughing. It feels like a reunion. I am happy to be back.

"So, when are you coming to the pack house?" Matt asks. Before I can open my mouth to speak, he says, "You can stay at your house for today if you want."

"If I stay the night here then it will be very difficult for me to say goodbye to Christina and come to the pack house tomorrow," I say. "So, I'll be coming with you guys now."

"Okay," Matt says. 

I get inside the house and pick up my backpack from the sofa. "Mom, I'm going to the pack house!" I announce to Mom who hasn't come out of her room since we had the conversation and I don't think she would come out of her room now.

"But you came just now," Christina complains. "And you're going so soon."

I bend a little to cup her little face. "I know but you also know that I have to return to the pack house since I'm the Beta of this pack. And you can visit me any time, you know." She nods her head. She hugs my waist. I hug her and kiss the top of her head. We pull away and Matt, Darius and I leave my house and head towards the pack house.