Chapter One

Chapter One - Two Years Later

Eleanor's POV

"Mummy!" My two year-old, youngest son Peyton squealed just as I was about to leave the apartment for my job at Starbucks as a barista. 

I turned around, always hating that I spent more time at my two jobs than with my two beautiful sons. I crouched down, and Peyton came stumbling towards me on his two stubby legs. I smiled at my son, amazed at how much he looked like me. The only thing different was his hair which he inherited from his father. Short, wavy light brown hair mopped the top of his head, and his crystal blue eyes shone brightly as he walked towards me. He grew up so fast!

"Hi sweetheart," I cooed kissing his pale, chubby cheek. Peyton threw his arms around my neck, not quite reaching the back of my neck. I chuckled lightly and bounced him in my arms. "Mum has to go to work now. I'll see you tonight, alright?" 

He shook his head as if he understood my words and held onto me tighter. It pained my heart every single day to have to leave my sons. "Summer!" I shouted to my best friend who was probably in their room attending to Luke, Peyton's older brother. She came rushing in knowing what my problem was already. Peyton always didn't want me to leave his side even if it was just for a few minutes.

"Come here, sweet boy," Summer said softly to the son in my arms. Peyton unwillingly left my arms to my best friend's, which she so kindly offered to babysit them while I was at work. "Go on, Elle. I've got him. Shoo."

I hurried out of there and closed the door behind me gently, hearing the cries of my youngest son through the door. I sighed and walked down bumping into someone who I had no desire to see that day. The landlord of the building I was renting from.

"Miss Edeson," she snapped at me sharply. "I'm glad to see I don't have to knock on your door several times like I've been doing for the past week!"

I flinched and took a step back not wanting to face my landlord's wrath. "Mrs. Hollis, I don't have the money to-"

"Ha!" She threw an arm up in the air. "Finally, you admit it! I need last month's and this month's rent by the end of this week or else you have to evacuate this place, and I can finally get some new lodgers who can actually pay. Good day!" She dismissed me harshly and continued walking possibly picking up rent from other renters in the building.

I rolled my eyes and continued my way to my work. I looked down at my watch while walking to the bus stop and saw that I only had five minutes to clock in or else I'll be late. I sighed and waited patiently for the next bus to arrive. I wanted to cry seeing as where my life was at now. I never realized I would ever be in this situation. Ever since Riley left, he's been sending monthly checks to me for our sons. Although it stopped after a year, and I couldn't do anything about it, since I didn't know where he was.

I climbed onto the bus and sat at the first available seat I spotted with my eyes. I tried thinking of ways where I could get the money to pay back Mrs. Hollis. I used to always pay her on time working over time, but ever since my poor baby, Luke, had a high fever I had to take him to the hospital and the bills were high. I still owed debt to the hospital for that. 

Finally, thirty minutes later I reached the Starbucks I worked at. I was already late and wished that my boss wouldn't be too angry with me. 

"Eleanor!" My co-worker James exclaimed. I waved at him and rushed through the many customers and got behind the bar putting my apron on in the process. "Where have you been?" He whispered to me as he passed me with a drink. 

"Sorry," I replied taking another customer's order. "My son held me up, and I missed the early bus."

"Good thing Frederick called in sick," James said talking about our boss. "It's only the two of us now with another worker coming in later to help out."