The Northern Air Temple

we sat around the campfire as a man told us stories of birds and people walking on air.

'aren't airbender stories the best?' said aang, grinning.

'was it realistic? was that how it was back then?'

'i laugh at gravity all the time. haha! gravity.' aang said, high-fiving me

'and yeah it was, katara!' i said, making fun of her, 'we used to spend our whole time hating on gravity, sometimes all day!'

she smiled before realising it was a joke and dead-panned.

'not funny.'

'jingle, jingle!' said the storyteller, handing us his hat to put money in.

'sorry!' said sokka after not finding anything in his coat.

'aww. cheapskates!'

'hey thanks for the story!' said aang, walking over to the storyteller.

'tell it to the cap, boy!'

a copper piece fell to the ground and momo put it back into the man's cap.

'aw, much obliged little bat thing!'

i walked over to them, smiling, and said, 'it means a lot to hear airbender stories. it must have been 100 years ago your great grandfather met them'

'what are you prattling about child? great grand-pappy saw the air walkers last week!'

i looked at aang - shocked.

airbenders?

i really hoped he wasn't lying.

---

we left straight away for the temple.

me and aang needed to know if our people were still out there.

'hey, we're almost at the northern air temple! this is where they had the championships for sky bison polo.' said aang as it came into view

katara and sokka said something but i want listening.

'hey guys, look at this!' i said, pointing at the temple.

there were people who looked like they were gliding all around the temple.

but at closer inspection. they weren't.

my smile disappeared.

'huh! they really are airbenders!' said katara.

'no, they're not.' i said, sitting back in the saddle.

'what do you mean they're not? those guys are flying!'

'gliding maybe, but not flying.' said aang, sadly, 'you can tell by the way they move. they're not airbending. those people have no spirit.'

at that, a boy in a different type of glider to mine or aangs flew past us and laughed. almost cutting our heads off.

'i don't know, aang. that kid seems pretty spirited!' laughed katara.

aang got a competitive look on his face and jumped up, going to race them.

appa jolted, sending the rest of us into the back of the saddle.

'we better find some solid ground before it finds us!' said sokka.

i landed appa on one of the temples terraces while aang was still racing.

they did tricks - aang doing his best to upstage the boy.