𝓔𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓮

(4 Years Later)

I can't believe those two went somewhere without telling me. They now I'm a great part of the team. Speaking of team, what the fuck happened to that?! Did it just go out the fucking window?! I groaned as I plopped down on my couch eating a can of fruit I found a few days ago. I waited until I heard movement outside my door and the door next to my place open and close. They should be back now. 

Tossing the empty can of fruit away I stood up and made my way over to Joel's apartment. Instead of knocking I just walked in. It's what I usually did but instead of finding Joel and Tess as usual I was met with Joel asleep on his couch and a girl. We both were startled by each others presence. 

"Who the fuck are you?" I asked. She furrowed her eyebrows at me. "Who the fuck am I? Who the fuck are you?" I looked down at her hand to see that she was clutching a knife in her hand. "I'm (Y/n) and I work with Joel." I said as I looked her straight in the eye. "Now, will you put the knife away?" I asked as I folded my arms over my chest and walked over to the window and sat down by it. 

"Sorry, about the- yeah, I'm Ellie, by the way." She took a seat in the chair that was by the window. "Well nice to meet you." I said as I looked out the window at the rain. It was quiet for a while but then a question popped into my head. "Tell me, what are you doing here with Joel?" She sighed as she sat up more in her chair. "He's taking me to some Fireflies." 

I scoffed. "Why the hell would he do that?" "Okay, you don't have to be an asshole, he's doing it for Marlene, something about guns." I sighed. That's probably the reason they left. "And Tess?" I asked. "She went to confirm the gun situation, she'll be back." 

"Let me guess, when she gets back, you guys head out." "Yup." I pushed my hoodie up and got comfortable. "Then I suggest getting some sleep." We sat in silence and somehow I fell asleep. I didn't mean too but it happened. 

~~~~~~~~~

I ran and ran. Away from the house. Away from the infected. Away from my own mom. I heard her screams in the distance, the blood curdling screams and the sound of the infected feasting upon her flesh. The sounds of blood hitting the floor, with the occasional drips. The snarl's and groans. All of it. 

But then I stopped running. 

Right in front of me stood both my mom and my dad. They were covered in blood with bit marks on their arms, legs, and faces. 

"Come with us, darling." Mom said in the most horrifying tone I've ever heard. "Yes, son, join us." Dad used the same tone and held out his hand. I breathed heavily and slowly started taking steps back. 

"What's wrong, son, don't you want to be together?" I shook my head as tears fell onto my cheeks and I tripped, falling to the ground. "No." My voice was small and barely audible. "Join us." Somehow they ended up right in front of me and reached out to grab me.

~~~~~~~~~

My eyes shot open as I looked around the room. I was still in Joel's apartment. I let out a sigh of relief and ruffled my hair. Joel and Ellie were up talking as the door opened to reveal Tess as she made her way in. "Sorry it took so long. Soldiers fuckin' everywhere." She said as she closed the door. "How's Marlene?" Ellie asked as I stood up from my spot on the floor. 

"She'll make it." She turned to Joel. "I saw the merchandise. It's a lot. Wanna do this?" "Yeah." "Let's go." Tess started to walk away. "Okay, hold on, am I just gonna be ignored or what?" I asked still kind of mad they went off without me. "(Y/n) if you want to come the let's go." Joel said. "Oh! So now I get invited to join."

"We only thought it would be best if you stayed behind because of you injury." I thought about it for a bit and remembered that the last time we went to do a smuggle I got stabbed by someone. "Oh, yeah, forgot about that." I sheepishly rubbed the back of my head and smiled. I grabbed my stuff that I brought with me and we headed off. 

"Don't you think it's a bit strange that they're having us do their smugglin'?" Joel was right. It was strange. "Marlene wanted to do it herself. We weren't their first choice, or the second for that matter." Tess said as she looked out the window. "She's lost a lot of men. Beggars can't be choosers." 

"Yeah, let's just hope there's someone alive to pay us." "Or someone to take the kid." I said as if I wasn't a kid myself. "Someone'll be around." We made our way through the hole in the wall and got on the lift. Joel got the generator running and came over to press the button to go down.  

"Who's waitin' for us at the drop off?" Joel asked Tess. "She said that there's some Fireflies that have traveled all the way from another city. Girl must be important." Tess looked at Ellie. "What is the deal with you? You some big-wig's daughter or something?" 

"Some thing like that." She answered as we got off the elevator. "How long is this gonna take?" This time I took the chance to answer. "If everything goes as planned, we should get you to them in a few hours." Then Tess dropped in on the conversation. "Ellie, once we get out there. I need you to follow our lead and stay close."

"Yeah, of course." I smirked. "Good girl." Ellie gave me a glare but I brushed it off as I walked passed her to follow Joel as he made his way up a ladder. "Now hold up. There's a patrol up ahead." We waited for a bit before we could finally climb up the ladder. 

"This rain ain't gonna do us any good." Joel said as we walked into the rain. "Holy shit, I'm actually outside." Ellie awed. "You've never been outside?" I looked at her in disbelief. "Yeah, where I'm from kids aren't allowed outside. You know, because of the infected." I hummed and shook my head. 

We got to a semi-truck and climbed inside to get up the small hill it was parked on. 

Just as Joel stepped out someone hit him with the butt of their gun. They pointed the gun at Ellie and I. "Don't do anything stupid." We raised our hands in the air. "Move." The guy behind us ordered. Ellie was the first one out, then me, and then Tess. "Turn around. On your knees." Again there was nothing else to do but listen and follow. 

"You scan 'em, I'll call it in." We knelled on the ground. "Alright. Put your hands on your head."

"This is Ramirez at Sector 12. Requesting pick up for three stragglers." The guy keeping an eye on us began scanning everyone, one by one. "Look the other way. We can make this worth your while." "Shut up." I chuckled as the guy moved on to Joel. I looked over at Ellie to see the nervousness she was experiencing grow. 

"Sorry." Ellie said after the guy scanned her and stabbed him in the leg. The guy punched Ellie to the ground and pulled out a gun but before he could do anything I tackled him to the ground. Tess and Joel took out the other soldier as I made the gun point at his own head and pulled the trigger. 

"Oh shit." Ellie scooted away. "I thought we were just gonna hold them up or something." Tess grabbed the device they were using. "Oh, shit. Look." She said as she tossed it to Joel and I got up from the ground.