𝓓𝓮𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷

We made our way down the highway as Joel talked about a few things. He was mostly talking to Ellie but I was fine with that because I'm not good with conversations. Ellie said a few things here and there but she was mostly in her own head space. It worried me a bit because she wasn't usually like this. 

We made our way off the highway and onto a main road. "There's the hospital the firefly mentioned. C'mon, kiddos." Joel said as we continued to walked towards said hospital. 

-----------

"You gotta see this." Ellie said as Joel and I made our way up the ladder. "What is it?" We asked but got no answer as she ran off again. "Are you kidding me?" She said as we chased her more. "You see this?" We walked into a room to see a giraffe eating some leaves. "Shhh... don't scare it." 

"I won't, I won't." Joel said as he took a few more steps closer to the giraffe. "C'mere." He said. I looked at Ellie and nudged her with my elbow to get her to walk over to them. She did and Joel helped her pet the animal. It walked away and we made our way up to the roof of the building. 

"Oh man, wow. Look at those things." She said as she leaned on the edge. I made my way up to her and look at them as well. "Those 'things' are called giraffes." "How do you know?" She gave me a confused look. "I read a book with them in it." She nodded and looked back at them. 

"So, this everything you've hoped for?" Joel asked as he joined us. "It's got it's ups and downs. But you can't deny the view though." 

It was silent for a bit as we looked at the scenery. I inhaled a bit to try to gain some confidence and I placed my hand on Ellies back. She looked at me but I only gave her a small smile. In return she gave me one too and looked back at the animals again. Joel made his way over to the door we had to go through. "We don't have to do this." He said making us turn and look at him and my hand slipped from Ellies back. "You know that, right?" 

"What's the other option?" 

"Go back to Tommy's. Just... be done with this whole damn thing."

"After all we've been through. Everything that I've done. It can't be for nothing." 

After that Ellie walked through the door, leaving us behind. 

-----------------

"Hey Ellie, maybe when this is all over and we get back to Tommy's we can hang out like normal teenagers?" I asked as we made our way through a tunnel that was filled half way with water. "Sure, it's a date." I stopped walking and watched as Ellie walked further ahead of me. "Come on slow poke." She said as she turned around to face me. "R-right." 

---------------

We made it to a part of the tunnel that had water rushing through. We walked across multiple things to keep ourselves out of the water until we were making our way across a bus and it started slipping. We all tried making it to safety but Joel got caught and the bus broke loose. Ellie tried hard to get a hold of Joel and I just followed the two to make sure Ellie doesn't fall in when helping Joel.

However the bus hit something and Joel fell into it. "Hey, Ellie?" I asked knowing exactly what she was planning to do. But before I could try to stop her she jumped onto the bus. "Ellie!" I yelled as the bus went under. Without a second thought I jumped in to find her and Joel. I mostly worried about Ellie because I knew Joel could take care of himself.

After a while of the water carrying me I made it to the surface and found Joel and Ellie. "Ellie." I ran up to the two. "When I say go, give her mouth to mouth." I nodded and he started doing the chest compressions. "C'mon Ellie." I said. "Go."

Without hesitation I pressed my lips onto hers and gave her some air. I did it one more time before Joel went back to what he was doing. "Hands in the air." Someone said as they came into the tunnel. "She's not breathing." Joel said as he motioned for me to go. "Hands in the fucking air!" They got closer but neither of us stopped. Until each of them slammed the butt of their guns into our heads, knocking us out.

------------

"Welcome to the Fireflies." Marlene said as Joel finally woke up. "Sorry about the... They didn't know who you were." 

"And Ellie?" Joel asked. "She's alright. They brought her back." 

"And (Y/n)?" He asked again. "I'm here." I said from the far corner of the room. He let out a sigh and laid back down. "You came all this way... How'd you do it?" 

"It was her." He cleared his throat. "She fought like hell to get here. Maybe it was meant to be." He started sitting up completely. "I lost most of my crew crossing the country. I pretty much lost everything. And then you show up and somehow we find you just in time to save her." She gave a smile. "Maybe it was meant to be." 

"Take me to her."

"You don't have to worry about her anymore. We'll take care of-"

"I worry. Just let us see her. Please." 

"You can't. She's being prepped for surgery."

This alarmed both me and Joel. "Surgery?" I asked. "The doctors tell me that the cordyceps, the growth inside her, has somehow mutated. It's why she's immune. Once they remove it, they'll be able to reverse engineer a vaccine. A vaccine." 

"But it grows all over the brain."

"It does."

"Find someone else."

"There is no one else."

"Listen, you are gonna show me where-" Joel didn't get to finish as he was pushed down to the floor. "Stop. I get it. But whatever it is you think you're going through right now is nothing to what I have been through. I knew her since she was born. I promised her mother I would look after her."

"Then why are you letting this happen?" I asked walking up to her. "Because this isn't about me. Or even her. There is no other choice here." Joel scoffed and sat on the floor. "Yeah... You keep telling yourself that bullshit." 

"March them out of here. Either of them try anything, shoot 'em. Don't waste this gift." She said before she left the room. And just as told the guy marched us out of the room. I lead the way with Joel behind me and the guy pointing his gun at Joel from behind him.