Chapter Eighteen: A Ride Back in Time

Asher's POV

The red Mustang accelerates down the highway, turning sharp corners as it glides in the right lane, purring to life while it races under the darkness. I glance at Charlie from the passenger seat, smiling brightly as Andre stares holes into the rear view mirror. I try to listen to their trivial conversation, but I can't stop imagining the barrel of Elijah's gun glistening in front of Andre's dark eyes. He held the titanium firmly in his hand as Margo's screams took my thoughts captive. Elijah was gone the moment he fought his son like a man, but the second he gave Andre the gun I knew the man I idolized was dead.

"Asher, can you please stop brooding from the passenger seat? Your ruining Bella's vibe, and Charlie's sensitivity is already pissing her off," Andre says, glancing at Charlie in the rearview mirror.

"Just because I don't like mainstream music doesn't mean I'm out of touch with my masculinity. Aren't you tired of staying within the line of society's rules for the perfect heterosexual male?" Charlie questions while Andre and I exchange a look and a smug grin.

"Out of touch?" Andre mocks, whipping around the corner while he chuckles. "Try out of century, and to answer your question no, I'm not tired of being straight, Charlie. It's my personal preference, but I won't judge you for exploring your womanhood. Now Asher, can you quit moping around you see Charlie trying to be upbeat even though he's a jackass who thinks our music is too good for him."

"What are we doing here?" I question, staring at a note from Gwendolyn that says: Juliet always loved you in this car just try not to crash it this time.

"Uncle Sam doesn't give us a choice, bro. Either we go to school, or you two assholes are gonna be coming to my funeral. And I swear if Charlie chooses my suit I'm coming out of casket and kicking your ass, Asher. I'm not Charlie Brown, I don't have fucking dress like it." Andre says, glaring at Charlie's ripped jeans worn with a blue sweater vest.

"I'm gonna let that one slide, Snoopy because I really want to know how skipping school is going to kill you. Are you going to go to prison and shit yourself when you see all the other boys in the shower?"

"Let me break it down for you, pervert. If Elijah ends up facing a fine or going to prison because I ditched school enough times then I'm dead. And if I end up dressed as a preppy douchebag at my damn funeral then your dead. How's that explanation, Woodstock? You keeping up back there birdbrain?" Andre retorts as Charlie throws a finger sign at him.

"No, I mean what the hell are we doing here!?" I drag the palm of my hands against my face, staring Andre in the eyes as he holds the pistol in his hand. "My girlfriends mother wants to have sex with me, her father tried to kill me three times now, and not mention Juliet is missing. The one person who cared about me that actually had the power to change our lives is gone, and she may never come back. So what the hell are we doing here?"

The moment I arrived at Goulding Manor the walls started closing in all around me, and I couldn't separate reality from fiction. I even saw Juliet collapse on the ground, brushing her silky hair out of face as she caught her breath. The first inhale was silent but the second ended in a long exhale, causing a stream of tears to fall from her eyes. Her cheeks were smeared with mascara and mucus was seconds away from tipping over the edge of her nose. Then a shadow grazed over her slumped position and in an instant she rubbed her hands over her face.

I kneeled in front of Juliet, watching her arms fall back to her side as her tears continued. She had been running off and crying alone for weeks. I felt like I didn't know how to comfort her because each day she would do the same thing all over again, but I still wiped her nose with the end of my sleeve. And I still wondered if her ears could hear her mother screaming at her father to go fuck his child whore if a real woman wasn't good enough for him. I felt bad for Juliet because David and Gwendolyn loved each other, but they always moved against the other one without considering their daughters feelings.