Chapter Twenty Two: Heads Or Tails

Asher's POV

When everything collided, I couldn't help but feel a surge of blood rush through my veins as I occupied the same space between the past and the present. I never thought my life would disentangle far beyond the troubled waves in my mind. I can't say my priorities are clear, especially when I can't bring myself to face the person I've become. Why have I allowed such abominations to wander back and forth in my heart if I had the power to flee from my demons? What was I thinking by luring Andre away from the snakes den only to ensnare him in a horde of lions with an appetite for murder and chaos?

Even now, my feet haul pass the doorway as gazes that once watched Juliet dart across my face, analyzing the depth of my misery. A soft chuckle erupts in a minuscule smile while prying glances projecting a great distance in my first period class. I can't ignore them probing with curiosity as Mrs. Mack promenades into the classroom; her head held high while she grins from ear to ear, enamored with the birth of a new day. Before she utters a word, she turns around, facing the smart board as she places the stylus between her fingertips, writing each letter with perfect precision. When she's done, she turns around, allowing the class to marvel the depth of her penmanship. I raise an eyebrow as the infamous words once again find me: Her pills were lavender, and his eyes were an abyss. The red in her lips was crimson, almost like a kiss.

"Good morning, class, and welcome back," Mrs. Mack starts, strolling through a row of desks until she's leaning on the wall next to mine. "I don't know how to express my sorrows for the absence of our dearly missed Juliet, and I know some of you are trying to find a way to grieve over her disappearance. So on my drive to work yesterday, I was thinking of a proper way for everyone to express themselves."

Micheal Robinson raises his hand as Mrs. Mack points to him before he responds. "Are we going to do another open mic session in the basement like we did last year? We could turn it into an interactive show about Juliet by throwing a rave in her name. I think that would set the perfect canvas for healing."

"Actually, Mike, the entire worlds a canvas for your spoken word; in fact, that's how I stumbled upon our mystery poet a few blocks from here, and their mural of Juliet was a sight to behold you guys. The raw, unfiltered passion in their words inspired me to spend the betterment of yesterday trying to crack their code, and it's safe to say I got the blueprint. Although, since I thought this might be a teachable moment and provide insight into how some of your peers saw Juliet. What better way of relating to your classmate then seeing how much they were affected by her disappearance, and remember there aren't any wrong answers. So tell me, what is the writer trying to convey here? How about we start with the new student, Mateo, what are your thoughts?"

Mateo raises his eyebrow as a smirk forms on his face. He had an insight behind those eloquent sentences, I'm sure of it, but his mind wonders as he attempts to churn a memory into existence. I want nothing more than to break my knuckles on every bone constructed in his jawline, but he has Charlie right in his fingertips. I haven't seen him since yesterday, but his betrayal still ran rampant in my nightmares. Last night, I slept in a bed meant for Charlie to occupy, and I felt completely helpless.

"To be honest, Talia," Mateo says, glancing at the animosity building in my chest as Mrs. Mack's eyes widen at his bold statement. "We crossed paths ages ago, but I never remembered anything callous in her eyes unless it was reflecting in someone else's. Who's to say they aren't the reason she's dead and not here? Hell, maybe they had something to do with those lavender pills, but either way, it ended up bloody."

For a split second, I recall the twilight engulfed in Juliet's irises as she firmly presses her foot against the accelerator and disentangles before my perception. I caught a glimpse of an evil I had never seen lingering in Juliet's heart before, wildly cascading in her long eyelashes, and reigning in her smile. I'm not sure what side of Juliet I witnessed in in that moment, but I acknowledged the fury resonating in her soul. I often wondered about her relationships with people of different backgrounds and the plethora of secrets she kept hidden from me. Although, how can someone live with a person for years even fall in love with them, but still not have a clue about the demons they conceal in their heart.