Chapter Thirty: The Roaring Covenant

Asher's POV

"Have you ever wondered what's it like to die in the arms of desolation?" I've never comprehended the measure of absolute bleakness, but even as the sunrise projects in the windowsill, I come to realize the making of lamentation. The nerve to press forward even though I'm broken already plunged inside of Juliet's skull. I know harnessing the truth is liberating, but I wish I was still blind. I'd even declare proudly in my ignorance that Juliet would return to me as dawn returns after the darkness subsides.

"Everything you once held within your fingertips like your grace, your love, your influence over people, and worst of all, your power just dissipates into nothing." Some part of myself wanted to believe Juliet was still alive, and that I'll be able to hold her in my arms once more. The only thing I wanted was to preserve the time we last departed into the twilight. Although, I've come to understand my heart never belonged to Juliet alone, and I'm starting to remember everything that the ocean compelled me to forget. It's insane, but I miss the peaceful nights when I was lost in a neverending dream of Juliet.

"Have you ever wondered what's it's like to die a destitute to the world?" The sorrow in Juliet's voice resonates in my mind and shatters my soul with each syllable. I've experienced the life of a degenerate and the hope that came when the sun rose each day. I always wandered the streets empty-handed, trying to find a meal that was never promised. Honestly, I wouldn't wish my former years on the lowest man in the world, but Juliet, in all her splendor, questioned the velocity of her demise. Even now I wonder if Juliet knew about the gun long before the bullet barreled through the window?

"Asher, what the hell is going on here?" Andre questions, sitting next to me as he studies Charlie, seated to my right side. "and why did you invite Charlie after everything he's done? He joined The Forsaken months ago. Then he still rode with us, knowing everything his new friends were capable of. Every decision Charlie made has brought me a step closer to a nightmare I thought I'd finally escaped, and now I realize he's the reason I'm bleeding. The reason I have to play house with a psychopath."

Andre's fury projects in his countenance as he walks around me, causing a butterfly effect while Charlie rises from his seat, letting his emotions take over his judgment. I tried to stop Andre while depression poured into my lungs but I couldn't breathe. The task seemed useless as if every second drew me closer to losing the last of my strength. Andre's agony camouflages in his tone, but with each inhale, my soul yearns to crumble on the floor. I notice Charlie's meekness subsides the moment he takes Andre on with direct eye contact.

"I heard you joined The Forsaken but only if I left," Charlie says with despair. "you shouldn't have done that. I could handle anything Mateo wanted as long as he never asked for one of you. I can't believe they have everything they ever wanted, Andre Smith, so now, like a domino effect, Asher Maddox has to follow. Congratulations, I'm the bad guy, but you still managed to return to your father's authority. It's funny because the last time I checked, he was chained in Gwendolyn's house, and I never told anyone about Elijah. So Asher do you want to guess how Andre's dad escaped chains and shackles?"

"I did what I had to do to protect, Asher. He collapsed and hit his head. I couldn't take him to the hospital, not after everything David put him through. My only option was to take him to my father because he has experience dressing a wound. He may have turned his back on his heart, but that's my father. I had to believe I could trust him at least once, so in exchange for helping Asher and taking your place, I had to come home." Andre says, moving past Charlie as torment drifts in his mien.

"A few days ago, I didn't have any of the answers," I confess, motioning for Andre and Charlie to sit down before anyone notices. "but now everything's starting to connect. Juliet driving over the bridge was one conglomeration. Everything is related, like the fire that started in my mother's room, David's disappearance, Gwendolyn having a meeting with Lynn in her office, and the link between The Forsaken and the founders. None of this is random the founders are asserting their power. They're planning something big, but why go this far?"