Chapter Thirty Eight: I'll Always Love You

Asher's POV

I tried to hold death in my hands as it plunged through his heart with a blade that held a glimpse of my reflection. It was always meant for me, and if I had known what this hour might bring, I would've never let him leave the safety of New York City. He'd be somewhere taking a long walk in Manhattan, smiling at everyone he would meet. Then at times, his voice was assertive with humble truths but gentle in its motive. His name was a mere whisper compared to the great things I knew he could accomplish if he had more time.

The police siren wailed for what felt like hours as I held him in my arms. He gasped hopelessly for air, but he was fading. I keep thinking how it should've been me, laying on the ground in a pool of blood, my voice clawing at me to speak the final thoughts of my mind. I don't know what second it happened, but somehow our memories start flashing before my eyes. I reflect on the grace of the good, the lessons in the bad, and the humor in the ugly.

"I can look at most of these people and tell they've never been starving, hopeless, or even that concerned about the homeless until tonight. Even now, it's just a show to see who can act the most troubled while looking flawless in their thousand-dollar gown. Excuse me if I don't vote on whose the biggest pretentious, self-righteous, millionaire with feelings." Charlie muttered, standing next to me in a black tuxedo, his attention scoping the crowd.

"Charlie, you don't know that," Andre professed, emerging from the opposite side of the room. "you have no idea what any of these people had to do just to walk into this room. I get it, you had a bad childhood, and no one ever helped you tell Asher came around. So did I, believe it or not, we're not the only ones here with a sad story. This could be you in twenty years, and another person can be standing in this same corner looking down on you."

"That's where your wrong, Andre. The truth is I'd probably never make it because I'd spend years giving back everything they just take. My mother would live in her dream house instead of Asher's apartment, and Amelia would grow up living her life the way a kid is supposed to. Her biggest worry would be about some boy that liked her, and then I'd go on the street corner where homeless families sleep every single night, and I'd give them thousands." Charlie said, turning to Andre as his eyes water.

I remember Juliet dragged us to this gala dressed in ivory and raven suits, accompanied with suede shoes. Charlie hated it because it only reminded him of everything his mother had gone through while the rich partied in expensive gowns and drank exquisite blends of alcohol. Andre loved the extravagance of it all since he had never seen anything like a golden sculpture depicting a child crying a fountain of tears. Andre has this rare gift to relate to anyone's opposing opinion while he also argues it's hypocrisy. He holds it in his eyes, but even with his blood on my hands, I still can't entirely agree with him.

God, have mercy on my soul, but I could never have agreed with him when my heart wasn't mine alone. Juliet had already consumed my thoughts with how amazing she looked in a gown that draped all around her in ivory. I gazed at her as she strutted across the room with a million-dollar smile and a gaze that captured every soul she met. I glanced at her once more, and Juliet took my breath away when her bright eyes turned towards me. She gracefully made her way over to the edge of the room, and when her hand grabbed my arm I could only see Juliet.

• • •

"How can you sleep after all the abominations you committed to strip my family away from me? After I gave you money, power, and a purpose to make you feel completed at night. Then I gave you the best gift of all. I gave you my beautiful daughter, who was innocent until the day she died by your hands, and all I asked for was for her protection. And you couldn't even do that right. Well, I'll take pleasure in watching your replacement kill everyone you've ever loved." David seethes as Mateo steps from the shadows with a smirk on his face.