Chapter 3

Everly and I were getting ready for the party in my room. We had already chosen our outfits and done our makeup. I had decided on a purple sundress and a pair of wedges. Everly had on a flowy turquoise top and black mini skirt. 

  Everly had just finished straightening her blonde hair while I was still attempting to curl my chestnut hair, which seemed to be resisting the heat. My phone was blasting music and Everly and I were screaming out the lyrics with it, "BUT HERE'S MY NUMBER, SO CALL ME MAYBE".

  It reminded me of the last time we were getting ready for a party, and how fun it was with him here. I found myself scrolling through old photos and messages from him: goofy selfies, good morning texts, and funny videos. We had been texting that night even though he was next door.

  My finger hovered above the glass screen and I let out a sigh before stuffing it into my purse. I shook my head and said, "Come on let's go, we're already late". Everly gave the mirror one last glance before we left. "Relax, you look fine" I said, reading her mind.

  We arrived at Ryder's house around seven and headed to the pool in the backyard.
  "Hey Evie, you actually came? I'm shocked" Ryder exclaimed.
"Don't flatter yourself. I'm not here for you" Everly replied.
  "Anyways... we were about to play truth or dare. Wanna join? " Ryder asked, acknowledging the guys behind him.
  "Sure," I answered before Everly could retort.
  "Ok Everly, I dare you to jump off the roof and into the pool" yelled Jake, one of Ryder's friends. "WHAT THE HECK! NO WAY, SHE'S NOT DOING THAT", I screamed.
  "Of course she won't do it, she's a loser. Remember the last party?" Jake whispered to Ryder. He replied something inaudible.
  "I'll do it" interrupted Everly.
  Before I could oppose, she shoved her heels into Ryder's hands and began climbing the ladder that was propped against the house.
  It only took her a minute to reach the roof. She stood there, barefooted and hesitant, staring down into the deep blue abyss. Slowly, she inched forward until she reached the edge. Just as she was about to back out, she lost her balance and tumbled off the roof.

  The water went everywhere.

  I rushed to the edge of the pool and handed her a towel. I dragged her out of the water and into the warm house. "Are you hurt? Do you want to leave?" I asked.
  "No, I'm... fineee", she chattered.

  Just then, Ryder walked up to us and asked, "Are you ok?".
  She glowered at him and yelled, "Why do you care? Isn't that why you invited me? To embarrass me? I'm so sick of you and your stupid parties that always make me look like an idiot". Tears started streaming down her face and she looked away, hoping he couldn't see the power that he held over her.
  "Can we please just talk?" he implored.
  Everly crossed her fingers and held them up, which was our symbol for when we needed help getting out of a situation.
  I looked over at Ryder, and I could see the sadness in his eyes.
  I pushed her towards him and she stumbled into his chest. He grabbed her hand and pulled her away to the sparkly cabana before she could argue.

  I didn't see them for the rest of the night.
                               ~~

  Everly came over to my house the next day and gave me a synopsis of last night. "Yeah, so we spent the whole night talking and he told me how last night was a misunderstanding and that he invited me because he wanted to hang out with me", she continued. Her emerald eyes twinkled with joy but also guilt.
  "Aww see Ev, I told you he's not a bad guy. You know that he and Xander were best friends", I said.
  "I  know, but that was before the-" , her phone interrupted her. Ryder's name flashed on the screen.
  "Omg, he's calling you. Pick up!" I squealed.
  She clicked the green icon. "Hey, what's up".
  I couldn't tell what he was saying to her.
  She mouthed to me, he's asking if I want to hang out with him which brought a faint blush to her cheeks.
  I shook her by the arms and whisper screamed. "Yeah, umm I mean no, sorry," she quickly said before hanging up.
  "Why did you say that?", I asked.
  "He's still obnoxious and a jerk. Last night was an exception. Watch, tomorrow he'll be back to his normal self".
  "Give him a chance. Xander--"
  "Stop. Please don't. I don't want to talk about it". She twirled a strand of hair around her finger and avoided eye contact. I could tell that there was something that she wasn't telling me.

  Anger and guilt surged through me.   When did she ever feel like talking about it? I thought the grieving period had passed for both of us, but it seemed like an endless tunnel with no light in sight. Maybe if I told her the truth she'd be able to move on. Maybe it'd help me move on. But would she move on from me?