Chapter 37

The middle-aged man seemed to remember something as he scanned Lucas' face. "You are the child that surnamed Hernandez, right?"

Lucas was raised his eyebrow, feeling a bit surprised. The middle-aged man in front of him certainly knew who he was, unlike Auntie Ellia who refused to acknowledge him.

He briefly glanced at the middle-aged woman who still had her eyes downcast, unwilling to meet his gaze. This caused Lucas to be more puzzled.

"Yes, that's me, Sir." Lucas gave him a small smile.

Stephen gave a light chuckle, as if happy that he met with an old acquaintance. He gave the young man in front of him a deep look. "You've grown up to be a successful man."

Lucas didn't respond his statement. Instead, he looked towards the room as if curious who was inside. "Is anyone from your family currently being hospitalized?"

"It's our son. He has been sick since he was a born. His condition's been getting worse by day." Stephen said, sounding helpless at their own situation. "Ah, I forget that we had left before our second child was born, so you wouldn't know him. His name is Juwen."

Stephen opened the door wide to welcome Lucas inside. "You are an acquaintance. Let's just get inside. It's not appropriate that we are having a conversation here while standing."

Lucas followed the middle-aged man inside and sat down on an available seat. The room wasn't big, but it wqs enough for a few people to get in without getting crowded.

Auntie Ellia hadn't spoken a single word since Stephen admitted that they knew each other. Lucas gave her another glance, hesitating about something. He knew that it was inappropriate to press about it, but he didn't like being lied to that way by people from his childhood.

"Madam Ellia, do you remember me now?" Lucas asked the middle-aged woman. Stephen turned his head towards his wife, revealing a puzzled expression.

"Eh, this is Lucas, the friend of Sofia who always visited our house in the past. How can you forget him? He was like our own son." Stephen was frowning.

"I remember him," said Ellia weakly, smiling stiffly at the young man sitting near her.

Lucas found the situation before him a bit strange. Did they not get along with each other? Though he didn't have any right to get privy to their relationship. But, he recalled that Stephen Dawson always had a short temperament and he was easily annoyed.

"How is Juwen's treatment going?" Lucas decided not to press on the matter further. He took a look at the unconsious pale boy lying weakly on the hospital bed.

Stephen gave a wry smile, looking like  a helpless person. "The treatmen is delayed because of the matter about money. We can't pay as the price ia too high."

Lucas' eyes flashed for a moment. He was pondering about something as he briefly glanced at Ellia's expression that was hard to be described with words, then at the Stephen who looked like he was tired.

He tentatively stated, "There's no need to worry about the treatment, Sir. I can help you about that matter."

Stephen's eyes flashed briefly with semething. He looked taken aback by Lucas statement as he shook his head vehemently. "You don't need to. We have just meet an old acquaintance, how can we take an advantage at you?"

Lucas was silent fo a moment, he revealed a kind smile. "There's no need to reject my kind offer, Sir. I also just wanted to help old acquaintances."

Stephen had a moved expression on his face while his wife stayed silent. But she also looked a bit taken aback by Lucas' offer.

"I will be unable to repay this debt of gratitute for rest of my life." Stephen said. "If you need something and it's within our capability, you can come to us then."

Ellia just sighed softly at the young man in front of her. She looked at the boy on the bed, the also muttering words of gratitude. "Thank you."

"After I leave, I will take care of the matter on my way out then. Don't worry." Lucas kept that kind expression on his face, though in his heart he was confused about something, as if there was something missing.

The two old people in front of him just nodded, their faces still filled with gratitude.

"Anyway, Sir, Madam--"

Stephen cut him off. "Don't call us like we are strangers. Just call us Auntie and Uncle like the old times."

Lucas nodded and repeated their names. "Auntie, Uncle, If may I ask, do you know where is Sofia right now? It's been years since we hadn't meet each other."

The room was filled with silence for a moment. Ellia stared at his husband, then just shook her head with regretful expression that Lucas noticed slightly. Stephen cleared his throat.

"Are you talking about Sofia? She was away in another city all those years." Stephen explained. "And now, she finally graduated."

Lucas nodded at his words.

"By the way, son. Do you know someone who can offer a job to your childhood friend? She was looking for one right now that she has graduated. Her business degree isn't that bad."

Lucas was silent at his words. As he contemplated it, he finally offered an explanation. "My company has been recruiting some new employees since the last month. If possible, maybe Sofia can try to submit her work registration."

Stephen revealed a joyful look. "You are working on a company now? That's good then. If Sofia managed to be accepted, I am hoping that you two can get along again like the old times."

Lucas' smile was slightly stiff somehow, but Stephen seemed like he didn't notice it. "I remembered that the two of you were almost together everyday. In old days, you two wouldn't stop playing until both of your clothes became dirty from running around too much."