2. Not So Good of a Day

I woke up late. My alarm didn't go off. I wore different halves of shoes and only realized that once I was already halfway towards the daycare. By that time, I was already late and I couldn't just go back and switch shoes.

The kids happened to be very, very wild today. I couldn't be sure if it was because I didn't have the chance to get coffee or not. My coworkers slacked off and I did most of the work. It was worse when we were about to close and there's still a kid waiting to be picked up.

It was quite late in the evening when the last kid finally got picked up. Well, sometimes the daycare had to turn into the night care as well. This time, I hated it. I just wanted to go home, ending this... not so good of a day.

I lived with my older sister, Brooklyn, her husband, Landon Dunn, and their newborn twins, Asia and Vienna. Together, we made the world map.

Just kidding.

Landon worked as an accountant. However, he rarely got hired since he didn't want to work dirty and dirty accountants were the ones people in Gotham City looked for the whole time. Brooklyn used to work with me, but, since she got pregnant and now she had to take care of the baby, she had to stop working. Now, it was down to Landon and I to provide for the house, which meant, I would take any extra job thrown at me.

"Roman, I'll take this. There's a gentleman looking for you by the front desk," my superior, who also happened to be the owner of this place, said as I was putting books back into the shelves.

"Oh, I'm almost done," I said.

"It's okay," she insisted.

The seventy year old woman looked terrified.

Oh, no...

"Alright," I said, handing over the small stack of books to her.

With that, I walked towards the front desk. Cautiously. Only a cop or a criminal would make that woman looked as terrified as that.

However, technically, it was a cop. Well, not really. I kind of considered a DEA agent a cop.

"Mr Grayson," I greeted, half smiling.

I couldn't believe I just met her a few weeks ago and I met him again today.

"Hey," Dick greeted back, smiling wider than I did.

"How can I help you?" I asked.

Dick took out a small envelope and handed it to me. Nothing was written on it, but, I could kind of see the inside. It looked like an invitation card.

"From Rachel," Dick said. "For Miss Holmes."

"Alright," I chuckled, taking the envelope.

"You don't have to go if you can't or if you don't want to. Would be great if you do, tho, but, you don't have to," Dick said.

"Oh, I don't want to break her heart by not going," I replied.

"Well, to that, I thank you so much," Dick said.

"Don't mention it," I said, pushing up my glasses with my knuckles.

"I guess I'll see you soon, then," Dick tilted his head aside a little, raising his eyebrows.

"Of course, Mr Grayson," I nodded.

"Alright. Once again, thank you very much," Dick said as he walked backwards towards the door.

"With pleasure, Mr Grayson," I said.

With one last smile, Dick turned around and pushed the door. However, a couple of steps away from the door, he turned back and pulled the door open again, peeking his head in.