23. A Good Time

"Why do you have to go on patrol tonight?" I softly asked Dick when he leaned to the kitchen sink next to me while I washed the dishes after dinner.

I turned to see Rachel peacefully reading a book about sea mammals by the dining table while munching on some cookies that we baked earlier this afternoon. No sign that she heard my question at all.

"Everyone's busy tonight. Besides, I will be taking the next three weeks off for our vacation anyway," Dick answered.

"You haven't even pack your luggage," I reminded.

"I don't need much clothes," Dick claimed.

I turned to him in disbelief.

"It's three weeks, you need like thirty clothes--no, wait... you don't need thirty clothes, but, you need fifty clothes," I said.

"No, I don't need to bring a whole closet with me, love," Dick laughed a little.

I sighed, passing on the plates that I had rinsed to Dick, who had the drying towel in his hands this whole time. Dick dried the plate I gave him.

"It'll be quick. I promise. I will be home before two," Dick said.

"Richie, our flight is at eleven," I reminded.

"Which is why Rachel should be sleeping now," Dick said in a normal volume. "You don't want to be late for our flight, right, honey?"

"I thought we're going with grandpa's jet," Rachel sighed.

"We're not," I cheerfully said.

"Why?" Rachel asked.

"A private jet is a luxury item that not every one has the privilege of owning. Even not everyone has the chance to experience what it's like being in a jet. Some people even don't know what it's like to be in a car," Dick answered.

When I looked at the girl, she tilted her head.

"Just because we have money, doesn't mean we have to use them for our own advantage because there are people who don't have enough money," Dick continued. "Money could be our privilege. A power of some sort. So is, sometimes, what you look like. Which is not okay and not supposed to happen at all in this world."

"What do you mean?" Rachel asked.

"What your father tried to say is that we can't always rely on something expensive just because we have it. The more things you have whether it's privilege, money, or anything, the more humble you should be. Just like how rice plants grow," I backed up Dick.

"How does a rice plant grow?" Dick asked.

"You know, they grow from this... grass like base and then the top part of the plants is where the rice grow. So, as the plant grows, it will get higher, but, the top part of it will also gets heavier, thus, making the plant droopy," I explained with as much hand gesture as possible.

"Oh, I see," Dick hummed.

"Yeah," I nodded, looking at Rachel again. "Also, if we're using a private jet, that's another carbon contributor to the air that helps the sea temperature rise and support coral bleaching."

"I don't support coral bleaching," Rachel said.

I threw Dick a winning look.

"So, you support our original plan, right?" Dick made sure.

"I stan," Rachel gracefully said.

I couldn't help my laugh.

"You sound like my sister," I said.