Envy

Annabelle fell into a fitful sleep, her overworked brain dragging her into a tangent of familiar darkness. This time she was an outsider to a conversation between Mr Shelby and a beautiful blonde woman as they sat around a large oak table.

Neither of them could see her as she walked around the long table, desperately trying to catch their attention, trying to get away from this private moment.

"You betrayed me" he hissed, his blue eyes giving nothing away.

"Did I?"she laughed bravely in his face before picking up a small mirror and checking her lipstick.

Annabelle found herself drawn to the woman, eyeing her with suspicion as she tried to figure out who she was.

"Was it your plan this whole time?" He asked her.

Suddenly the blonde looked up and saw Annabelle stood their in the shadows behind him "Well was it?" She asked her with a snap of her compact.

Annabelle bolted up right and threw her blanket away, her breath coming out in wheezes as she tried to shake of the impending doom she felt.  It must be early she thought as she saw the sun peaking through her curtains.

It meant she could get up and start her day, to forgot about the haunting blondes words.

—-

Annabelle was a whirlwind as she got the house in order. It made George dizzy who had decided to help her, as she began dusting down all of the pictures in the hallway he had retired to help his father prepare lunch.

Stretching tall on her top toes Annabelle's dusted just reached the top of the final frame, her skirt rising up slightly at the back as she took a final swish across the gold frame.

Satisfied she turned around to find that she had company. Blushing profoundly she looked away from Mr Shelby who was stood in his office doorway.

"Sir is there something you need?" She asked as she gathered her things from the steps.

Clearing his throat he answered "Mary's funeral is tomorrow. Can you tell the others?" He asked, his tone cool as he regarded her nervousness around him.

Annabelle sighed "Yes sir, of course" and she took the last step and stood across from him. As her eyes fluttered up to his she noticed he looked better today, slightly rested and less grouchy.

"Do you need something?" He asked once he caught her staring, his words dripping with acid.

A small sigh slipped through her lips as she shook her head, his slightly improved mood had only lasted a few minutes.

"No sir" she mumbled as she walked by him, making her way to the kitchen.

—-

George was asking to many questions as he followed Annabelle around the house as she changed the sheets in all of the rooms. George was vying for information she didn't have

"Why does he make you stay in his office?" He asked as he passed her a freshly pressed pillow case.

Annabelle began plumping up the guest room pillow "George, I'm not sure we should be talking about this" she mumbled

George shrugged "He can't hear us, he's in his office talking to Arthur"

Annabelle grabbed another pillow case and started on the next pillow, using her hands to smooth down the soft linen.

"Does he make you...you know?" George asked regretfully as he looked down at his feet.

Annabelle gasped at the insinuation and quickly crossed the room to face him "George!" She hissed "He does no such thing! Why would you say that?"