Desperation

Tommy looked over his shoulder and saw the hurt on Annabelle's face. This was the last thing she needed and he wasn't going to hurt her anymore.

Turning back to Clive he glared "Not my problem now leave" and be went to close the door on the intrusion but Clive put his gloved hand in the way. It took every part of him not to slam the door on the mans hands.

"Mr Shelby she's pregnant" he hissed, is eyes imploring him to help.

"So? Nothing to do with me" he spat as he pulled back the door and shoved the man away from his step.

Clive stumbled back but wasn't going to leave and Tommy could see it by the determination on his face.  Grace really did turn men into useless saps and he was suddenly grateful he got out of it alive.

"Are you sure about that?" He asked as he eyed Annabelle who was still stood behind him.

Panic began to build at the back of his neck but he stood firm and tried not to give anything away.

"Pretty sure about that. I never touched her. Looks like this is your problem, like I said in my letter now fuck off"

Clive took a step back but was careful not to seem like he was giving up the fight for his wife.

"She left me a letter saying she was coming here Mr Shelby, right after she told me she was pregnant. That looks a little conspicuous don't you think?"

Before he could usher a word Annabelle turned and ran up the stairs, ignoring Tommy calling her name. Tommy knew this was bad, real fucking bad and he didn't have time to waste.

"For fuck sakes!" He yelled before he slammed the door on Clive and raced up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

"Annabelle!" He shouted before she slammed her door shut in his face, he could hear her trying to lock it but he knew she didn't have the strength because of her wrist.

Pushing open the door he wasted no time in grabbing her "It isn't true! Can you bloody stop trying to escape?" He snapped furiously as she tried to push him away.

"Well, why is he here Tommy!? Why did he say she was coming here? What aren't you telling me?" She snapped back before shoving away from him and heading towards the window.

Tommy threw his head back and took in a deep breath. All he wanted was one moments peace, was it to much to ask for he thought.

"I don't fucking know! I told her if she was to come back to England that I'd kill her"

Annabelle looked over at him to see that he was telling the truth and it scared her but before she could voice her next question he took a seat on her bed and put his head in his hands.

"It's nothing to do with me. Why does no one fucking listen to me?" He mumbled to himself before looking up at her, seeing that she was regarding him carefully. Annabelle was always so careful with him when his mood slipped and he hated it.

"Tommy" Annabelle started as she took a seat next to him "Her husband thinks that you're the father of her child, if you are and you're lying to me I can promise you that you'll never see me again" and she looked out of the window "If it's not true then you need to find her, you need to put this to bed once and for all. You're only just getting your family back"

"You want me to kill her?" He asked carefully, trying to ignore the feeling of panic after she said if he was lying she would leave.

Tommy wasn't lying, he had no physical contact with Grace on her short visit but he knew that Annabelle was protecting herself. After all, she had seen the mess he was left in.