Broken

Annabelle hadn't left her room all evening and with every passing minute he was beginning to worry. As he stared out of the window, watching the rain thrashing down his mind took a turn to the darkness.

When she was taken his whole words had turned upside down and emptied. All the moments he had treated her badly began to taunt him and now he was certain he wouldn't get the chance to make it right.

Disrupting his dark thought was Mavis as she slipped into his office to update him on Annabelle

"Sir, she's not eaten. I've knocked but she isn't answering"

Tommy was silent for a few seconds "Okay, goodnight" he dismissed quickly so he could think alone.

Mavis quickly scuttled away and he decided that he would go speak to Annabelle. The longer they where separated the more he thought she would distance herself from him.

Once he was at her door he thought about knocking but knew she would ignore it. Instead he tried to door but it wouldn't open, she had locked him out. This was worse than he thought.

"Annabelle" he called through the door, still staring in disbelief "Come to the door, I need to know that you're okay in there" he called and listened carefully for her on the other side.

Instead all he heard was his own heart beating erratically in his chest. Annabelle wasn't coming to the door and there was nothing he could do.

——

Annabelle quietly made her way down the stairs, her arm in her sling and her coat dangling across her shoulders. Once she was downstairs she made quick work to find Tommy's driver Sean.

Finding him in the kitchen she watched as the new staff quickly stood up, abandoning their breakfast as they assessed her.

"Sean, can you take me to Small Heath please?" Annabelle asked as she ignored the pitiful looks of Tommy's new staff.

"Certainly Miss. Now?"

"If you don't mind" she said before turning to Mavis who was staring at her "If Mr Shelby asks where I am please tell him I'm with a friend and I'll be back" but before Mavis could reply she was leaving the kitchen.

——

Annabelle was confused as Maria began crying at her kitchen table, her dainty hand across her mouth as she surveyed her.

"It's not as bad as it looks" Annabelle said as she used her left hand to pick up her tea.

"You're joking right!? Anna you look like you've gone eight rounds with a boxer"

"I feel like it" she mumbled as she watched her friend sniffle, her pain only made Annabelle feel worse.

Annabelle told Maria everything in hopes that sharing the burden would free her of her emotional turmoil but instead it made her feel worse.

Maria was angry and ruthlessly threw the blame at Tommy which made Annabelle wince. Ever since she had left the hospital she hadn't been able to think straight. Having blamed herself for not getting away, for not being strong enough she was almost certain that Tommy would see she was weak.

"You can't go back there Anna. I won't have it. Ever since you stepped into that house you've had nothing but trouble"

"It's more complicated than that" Annabelle reasoned but winced as she moved her wrist to get more comfortable "It wasn't his fault Maria, he didn't know that we would be taken, nobody did"