You're So Golden

Longest chapter yet, but it's a special one:)

Songs for this chapter: Sweet creature by Harry Styles (I recommend listening to it while reading the later part of this chapter, you won't regret it)

---

Louis

A heavy thud followed by a quiet and high-pitched "ouch" woke me from my sleep, and judging from how my eyes feel as though they're filled with sand, I haven't been asleep long. 

My eyes stay squinted, unable to adjust to the pink-ish light of the early morning sky shining through the window. My hand pats around the empty half of mattress between me and the wall. When I don't feel the smaller boy next to me, I turn around and my cloudy eyes scan the room for him. 

I sit up onto my elbows and look over to see Harry rubbing a spot on his head, his chubby face contorted with pain. 

"Haz? What the hell are you doing?" He flinches at the sound of my voice, his eyes widening in fear before he scrambles onto his feet. 

"Nothing... just... nothing," He stammers, shaking his head and looking around the room nervously. He's fully dressed, his black cardigan with small blue paint splatters on the sleeve drapes over his shoulders and his baggy blue jeans secured around his pudgy hips. 

"Come back to bed, silly." I chuckle at the boy who is clearly up to something, but I'll let him think I'm not onto him. 

"Can't," he blurts, shaking his head nervously. 

I sit up fully; the blanket falling to my hips and my bare skin exposed to the cool air of my room. "And why is that?" 

"Because... because...I..." He chews his bottom lip and furrows his eyebrows, his eyes looking everywhere except for my face. "I have to go to work!" He blurts once more, sounding unsure even of himself. 

"You're off until Monday, it's Christmas Eve." He nods and lets out a tiny huff, taking another good 30 seconds to come up with another excuse and judging by the tint of red on his face if he thinks any harder than he is right now, he may combust. 

"Are you gonna be safe?" I ask, deciding to spare him the headache of lying himself out of this. 

He nods. 

"Do you need me to take you to wherever you're going?" He shakes his head vigorously, his curls that have been getting longer lately falling into his eyes.. 

"Do you have a way to get there and back?" Another nod. "Will you be gone long?" Another head shake. 

I yawn loudly before laying back into bed, wrapping the blanket tightly around my shoulders. "Shut my door on your way out, be careful," I say groggily, my body already being taken over by sleep as I see a dimpled smile break out over his pudgy cheeks. 

"I'll be back soon, love." He says cheerfully, picking up something that looks to be a basket of some sort before leaving the room, closing the door behind him. I could get up and go see what on earth this sneaky boy is up to, but sleep sounds so much better. 

---

The golden light shining through the curtains is too bright for my sleeping eyes, slowly stirring me awake. To my dismay, Harry's still not lying next to me. I had to have been asleep for a few hours. He should be back by now.

I drag myself out of my bed, rubbing the grogginess from my eyes and pushing my tousled hair from my face. The house is a little too quiet. Usually I'd be hearing cabinets closing or girlish screams by now.