Five • Behind Normality

•°•

"My emotions are a mess,
what do you want me
me to say?"

°•°

THEY MET for the second time under a lemon tree

Night had already settled in when Remi hopped out her window. Her room was on the lowest bit of her two storey house so height was never an issue. She jumped over the fence around her house and ran the rest of her way there.

She had stopped on a rather interesting part of the new book she was reading and she was a little too eager to get to her little hollow.

Maybe a bit too eager, for she didn't pay much attention to where her feet were taking her and that was what made her collide with someone else.

The impact was strong enough to make her lose balance, causing her to land harshly on her behind.

She was so stunned that she didn't notice a hand sticking out to her until whoever it was, cleared their throat.

"Oh, uh, I'm so sorry," her voice jumped out in a dazed squeak as she accepted the hand. Her cheeks burned a rosy crimson.

"It's alright," he. It was definitely a he, Remi's mind concluded for her. "I, um wasn't looking where I was going."

She nodded before realisation struck her. She cleared her throat. A cold chill ran down her spine, "Wait, this is private property. What are you doing here?"

There was silence for a moment before he finally replied, "I-I'm not a theif or anything. Please don't get the wrong idea I just-"

Her eyebrows shot up as she stared at his silhouette and noisy features. She couldn't make out much in the dark, but as her eyes adjusted to the lack of light, they widened. "Oh dear God, are you Julian? Julian Rhodes?"

There was a nervous laugh and smile. She didn't know what to think, so she listened, "Yeah, we met in the café downtown before, uh, all this." He stopped, slipping his hands into his pockets. Hesitating. "Uh, I probably sound very creepy, you know what, I'll just leave. This was a stupid idea. Sorry for bothering. Have a nic-"

"-No, don't," Remi smiled, cutting him off once more. She hoped her flushed cheeks weren't visible or else this would conversation be much more awkward. "Don't leave, I'd-" she tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear and bit her lip, gathering all the courage she could. "-I'd like to get to know you more, Julian. If you're not too busy, that is."

He stared at her in astonishment, not believing that his antics had got him here. And yet, he put on a smile, cringing at how stupid and besotted he must've sounded. "I'd love that too."