Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The cool rays of the full-moon filtered through the thin fabric of a curtain, lightly illuminating the dark room. Xiao Lin sat on the bed, looking at the curtain dancing with the wind and the blurred moon through it.

He couldn't sleep. The unsolved problem keeping him awake. He realized, no matter what, he can't escape without someone's help. Whatever he planned, he needed someone's cooperation for the plan to work or at least have some high probability of escaping.

The problem was, he didn't trust anyone in palace; he wasn't familiar with anyone here, except for one. Su Ming, who was the only one he had been with long enough and had built a connection. He believed the boy was loyal to him, though he was silly and simple; useless most of the times, but Xiao Lin couldn't think of anyone else. He needed Su Ming's help.

Xiao Lin knew Su Ming would never agree if he just told him that he didn't like it here and wanted to escape with Su Ming's help. The attendant was scared of taking risks and in turn would try to coerce Xiao Lin to stay and say that what a blessing it was to be an Emperors concubine and blah blah. But what if he made Su Ming understand that staying here was risky for both of their lives, then?

Thinking he had finally found a solution; Xiao Lin felt a little relieved, laid down in bed and finally closed his eyes to welcome sleep.

***

The next day he talked to the Su Ming, alone in a room.

"What?" Shouted the little attendant.

"Keep your voice down!" Xiao Lin whisper-yelled.

"Apologies. But...my lady, you can't be serious! Right?"

Xiao Lin grabbed Su Ming's hand and placed it on his chest.

"My lady, what are you doing?!" The little attendant blushed furiously. Then he felt something wrong as he realized the abnormality of the chest.

"See?! My chest is flat. I'm not lying; I've always been a male. You were just dumb enough to never realize it." Xiao Lin said, not letting go of the opportunity to criticize his attendant. Releasing the hand, he looked at the Su Ming's shocked expression for the second time in a day.

"If you still don't believe me, do you want me to undress—" Xiao Lin started to say, annoyed but was immediately cut off by Su Ming.

"No! No! No, My Lady! I believe now." The flustered red Su Ming hurried to say. "But...why are you telling me this now?" He asked, confused.

"Stupid. Think! If His Majesty knew, we will both be killed. Yes, you too, since I brought you along with me."

Su Ming looked horrified, but then confusion and curiosity were added into his expression.

"But...My Lady, didn't you spend some time with His Majesty." He pointed to his own neck, continuing, "How did His Majesty didn't find out?"

Okay, he wasn't that stupid, Xiao Lin thought. He hadn't prepared for that question beforehand!

Xiao Lin thought for a moment then confidently lied, "about that...at that time his Majesty was very drunk. He only just left some marks on my neck and did nothing else. Not even my clothes were touched." After stopping for a second, he continued in serious manner, "Now we need to think about escaping death. And the only way is...to escape from the palace."

Su Ming again looked horrified. "How? It's imp-impossible!"

"It's not impossible. Or...do you want your head to be sliced? It'll be really painful, I tell you. And there's also no grantee that His Majesty would be kind enough to grant us an instant death. I'm sure, he would torture us first." Xiao Lin nodded his head, confirming and tried to scare his attendant a bit more.

Poor attendant was really petrified that his lips trembled and eyes turned red with unshed tears.

Xiao Lin took a pity on him and patted him on the shoulder. "Don't worry. I already have a plan. You just do what I say and help me. We'll escape for sure!" No, I'm not sure!

The anxious looking Su Ming nodded his head slowly, making Xiao Lin smile.

***

"Your Majesty, they're trying to escape." Da Nianzu informed. He had been tasked to keep an eye on Emperor Song Longwei's new concubine, Xiao Lin.

Emperor Qing Jinhai's eyes light up, "Oh, how brave! They have made things easy for Us. Song Longwei was already keeping an eye on me because he knows I know the secret." He smirked.

"But, Your Majesty, how did you find out that the girl was actually a boy?"

Qing Jinhai smiled a little recalling that scene when the boy fell into his arms because of the other concubine playing a trick on him. "How could I not recognize the blood that reacted? I bet even Song Longwei accidently discovered, hence immediately trapping him, making him his concubine. He would have already put a seal on a boy if it weren't for him trying to be careful of his enemies finding about his little treasure. After all, it's a boy from Zuxin clan."

Da Nianzu's eyes went a little wide, understanding immediately.

"Help him escape. But only from shadows. And," Qing Jinhai narrowed his eyes, brought a small pouch from his sleeves, opened it and brought a pendant from it. It had an emerald, shiny stone. Then, he got a small dagger from his sleeve, made a cut on his finger and dropped the blood on the emerald stone which was instantly absorbed by it. "Give it to him, to hide his presence and trail. Alas, Zhen is going back tomorrow and won't be able to witness the reaction of Longwei when he found out that his concubine escaped before he could completely trap him." He laughed heartily.

Da Nianzu shivered. Ah, his Majesty is doing it again! He internally shook his head helplessly.

***

Xiao Lin entered his room. His eyes immediately catching sight of something conspicuous on the bed. Frowning, he walked over. A suspicious letter and a pendant? Alarmed, he looked around the room. But there was no one; windows were closed too.

What is this now?!

He cautiously reached for the letter, opening it, eyes scanning its contents. His hands shook, body immediately feeling cold.

Heavens! What a scary place this palace was, filled with scary people!

The letter concisely read:

Wear this pendant if you don't want to be discovered by guards during escape and tracked by His Majesty.

***

Published: 08/09/2020