Mudblood

Word count: 1101

Narrators POV

The next step of the potion's assignment was to mix the polyjuice potion. They went through the usual process, reading how to make the potion, collecting and measuring the amount of materials to put in the cauldron, and then mixing all the ingredients all together, but today neither Draco or Harry spoke a word. Hermione took note of this and turned toward Ron. "What's wrong with Harry?" Hermione asked quietly. "Eh? What do you mean? There's nothing going on. If someone's upset it's you." He turned around pretending to organize things, avoiding eye contact. He was so nervous and he knew if he looked her in her eyes he'd accidentally tell Harry's secret. Hermione sighed. "Ron if Harry told you something I have the right to know. What could've happened that he doesn't want to tell me.." She thought for a moment. "Did he get rejected by that Ravenclaw girl?" She guessed. Ron turned around realizing he could hide his secret. "Yes! uhm the other night he tracked her down after dinner. He asked her to go to the Yule ball with him, but she said no. I'm sorry we didn't tell you Hermione he just didn't want to be teased." Hermione huffed. "You guys should've told me. I wouldn't have teased him." Hermione returned to her work as Ron let out a relieved sigh.

Harry finished stirring the liquid inside of the worn black cauldron as Draco called over professor Snape. The professor gave an approving nod and they both say back down at their shared desk. They both pulled out their homework from separate classes, while the rest of the class finished their potions one by one. Draco glanced at Harry once.. and then twice.. and then again. Harry noticed and without looking up asked. "What Draco? Do I have something in my hair or are you just trying to annoy me?" Draco blushed a light shade of pink and immediately looked down at his work. "I'm not doing anything that concerns you, Potter." He continued writing. "Well obviously it does concern me-" The bell cut him off as Draco slammed his notebook close. "As I've stated, Potter, my personal thoughts don't concern you." He got up and walked out of the classroom with his minion friends trailing behind him.

Harry sighed and took off his glasses, rubbing the bridge of his nose. Ron and Hermione walked up behind him. Hermione then sat down next to Harry. "I'm really sorry about Cho." She placed her hand on his forearm. "What are you-" He looked up at Ron, sensing what was going on. "Oh yeah.. I guess she just doesn't like me like that." Harry smiled sadly, though he wasn't a good actor. He grabbed his things and stood up. "Come on then we're gonna be late for Hagrid's class." Hermione nodded and stood, following him to their next class.

~~~

Hagrid and the others were already studying a creature in the woods not far ahead. Draco and his goons were sitting not far behind at a tree, not caring about the class. They all chuckled after someone cracked a joke about Hagrid. As Harry walked by them he heard Draco say something that didn't sit right with him. "You're right, this place has gone to the dogs, just wait until my father finds out they have this oaf teaching classes." Harry turned around. "Shut up, Malfoy. Just because you're not smart enough to pass this class doesn't mean he's a bad teacher. Just means you're an idiot." Draco jumped down from the tree and walked over to Harry. He was a few inches taller him regularly, but since they were on uneven ground he was even taller. Harry looked up at him. "Well at least I don't have freak friends. I would never associate with losers." Draco motioned to his friends behind him, Hermione huffed as Ron crossed his arms. "My friends aren't losers. Thats more then you can say for your minions." Draco huffed. "Well at least I'm not friends with a mudblood." Harry was fuming. He punched Draco in the nose. Draco then grabbed by his collar and pushed him to the ground, they rolled around for a few seconds until they landed on more even ground Draco then tried pushing Harry off of him, but Potter was on top of him, putting his legs on either side of Draco's torso. They continued to fight with Draco's and Harry's friends crowding around them. "Boys stop it!!"

Hermione yells alerted Hagrid and he came running over. He pulled them off of each other before anything got worse. "Boys! What in hell do you think you're doing?" He bellowed in his deep Scottish accent. He held them both up by the backs of their shirts. Draco had a bleeding nose and a black eye, but Harry only had scratches on his arms and face. It's obvious Harry had won. Hagrid turned to Draco. "I would've expected this from you." He turned to Harry. "But you Harry? I'm sorry to do this, but I'm going to have to send you both to professor Snape. He'll know what to do with ya." He dropped them both to the ground, they dusted themselves off and Draco looked angrily at Harry, giving him a nasty look. They both started walking back to the school in silence.

"Good job Potter, now we'll have detention for a month." Draco scowled. "What? It wasn't my fault you called Hermione a mud- a you know what." Harry looked away from him. They kept walking for a few minutes and then Draco spoke up. "I heard the Yule ball is coming up. Are you gonna take your girlfriend, Hermione?" Draco asked trying to sound like he was mocking, but deep down he truly wanted to know. Harry looked at him for a second and then looked back down. "No. She's not my girlfriend." Draco felt embarrassed, he thought they were dating. "I'm probably gonna go alone. What about you?" Harry said, he was trying to get on good terms with him, even though he did just kick his ass. Draco was flustered and he looked away. "I'll ask some random girl. I can get any girl I'd like." They walked the rest of the way in silence. Once they arrived they were given 5 days detention of cleaning the classrooms. Harry huffed, but agreed. Draco tried to argue his way out, but he was unsuccessful. For the next few nights they'd return to Snape's classroom and clean everything in his classroom in silence.

๑๑๑