038

! chapter thirty-eight !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

WHEN THEY GOT BACK to Hogwarts, it was completely deserted. Not a single person stood in the courtyard, and Haven glanced around in concern. A few fires were still lit around them, and pieces of the broken school laid in every square inch that was possible to see. Her stomach dropped. Hogwarts wasn't home anymore, because there wasn't even a Hogwarts. It was ruined.

They slowly made their way inside of what remained, swinging the large doors open, and Haven was immediately enveloped into a tight hug, she didn't even get the chance to register who she was hugging before another pair of arms wrapped around her. Haven knew who it was after that, and she quickly returned the embrace the best she could before pulling away to look at Jason and Jermey. Their faces were cut up and bruised, but they both still managed to shoot her a small grin.

"You guys okay?"

"We're more than okay," Jermey answered, subtly showing her their interlocked fingers. She felt a jolt of surprise go through her.

"It's about time," she mused, and they both nodded in agreement before stepping off to the side. Haven felt her jaw drop once she saw the inside of Hogwarts. There were plenty of wounded, who were getting patched up. Most people didn't glance their way as they walked further into the room, but Haven gasped once two familiar faces came into view. Her eyes fell onto their hands that were still interlocked together, as if even in the afterlife they couldn't stand to be apart. A pit formed in her stomach. Remus and Tonks were dead.

Fighting off the urge to cry, Haven turned her head, her eyes landing on the back of a redhead. Haven recognized it as Molly. Haven froze when she realized they'd all been crying, and Ron quickly made his way over to them. George pulled him into a hug, and her eyes drifted towards the identical boy who was lying still on a cot. Tears threatened to spill over, but she blinked them away. Fred was dead. Her heart ached at the realization of it, and a large lump appeared in her throat. He's always been there to make her laugh. To make everyone laugh. Always managed to lift the spirits up with one of his stupid jokes. It was then that she wished she had spent more time with him. Haven glanced around the room. How many more? How many more innocent lives had to be taken away from them?

Haven's head snapped up, and she immediately looked over to Harry. She knew he was thinking the same thing by the grim look on his face, but she shook her head. "I'll be back."

She didn't get the chance to ask where he was going, because he'd already taken off. Haven shifted on her feet, before she heard the quiet sound of sobbing coming from behind her. Haven quickly rushed over, crouching in front of Malory who was wiping tears off of her face. The other girl leaned into her, crying onto her shoulder. Haven glanced to her left, realizing that it was Sydney she was weeping over.