Chapter 25

Thanks for 23,000 reads and 1,000 votes!! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kai's POV

I continued walking down the familiar street, the only noise in the silence being my sniffles.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed Jack's number. I brought the phone up to my ear, listening to the ringing noise as I waited for him to pick up.

"Yo, Kai. What's up?" He asked me. I could hear music in the background as well as some other voices.

"D-do you think you can pick me up right now? I need a ride," I knew my voice was shaky.

"Hey... What's wrong with your voice?" My friend asked, concerned, turning down the music as the people in the background became quiet.

"Just pick me up, please," I begged.

"Sure," I could sense the hesitation in his voice. "Text me where you're at, I'll go right now."

"Thanks..." I hung up, quickly sending him the address of the random house I had somehow made my way in front of.

I sat down on the curb, pulling my knees up and wrapping my arms around my legs. I put my head down and focused on my breathing, trying to calm myself down.

I lost track of time, sitting in that position replaying Lucas' words in my head over and over and over again.

Why did things turn out this way?

Before I knew it, Jack's white truck pulled up in front of me. Sarah was in the passenger seat and Zay was sitting in the cargo bed.

I looked up from the ground and all three of them had furrowed brows, staring at my disoriented state.

I didn't say anything as I hopped into the back next to Zay.

Jack began driving, most likely to his place. I looked up at the stars in the sky, feeling a tear drip down my cheek as Zay studied my disheveled appearance.

It wasn't a long drive, no more than eight minutes before we were all piling out of the white car and walking into Jack's living room. I plopped myself down onto the couch as Zay sat next to me, Jack leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest and Sarah sitting in a chair across the room.

The silence was deafening, a high pitched ringing appearing in my head. They simply looked at me, lips sealed shut. They were waiting for me to say something, but no words were coming to mind.

There was this feeling in the back of my throat, a tight knot that told me if I so much as opened my mouth I would not be able to control the strange emotions I was feeling.

Betrayal?

Anger?

Sorrow?

Regret...

What did Lucas even say back there? I was so taken aback, it was so unexpected that I can't remember. It's all just a blur.

"Kai," It was Zay's voice. I had never heard such a sensitive and endearing tone come out of his silly, immature self.

I couldn't keep it in, I broke down crying. Sob after sob, endless streams running down my face. My nose was red and my throat hurt.

I heaved, trying my best to breathe, but the air didn't come. Jack rushed out of the room and brought back a box of tissues as Zay rubbed my back.