Chapter 37*

Warning*** Sexual Content (It's a little kinky, but it's not too extreme :P)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lucas' POV

The inside of my car was completely silent. The sky had turned pitch-black, the only things illuminating the streets were my headlights, the dim yellow street lamps, and the countless bright stars littering the sky.

As the clouds shifted, the full moon shone down on us, lighting up the blackened sky.

It had been a long day. It went from absolutely amazing to heart-wrenching and mentally destructive. I don't know what's going through Kai's head right now, but I can assume that it is dark and not something that he should be imagining or dwelling on today. It is his birthday after all.

His black hair was spread out, stuck against the window as he leaned his head onto the cold glass. Our hands were still tightly clasped together, resting on top of the center console.

I licked my bottom lip, wetting the dry skin. Although I was focused on the road in front of me, I couldn't stop thinking about ways I could make this day better for Kai. I promised that it would be a happy day full of new experiences, but instead of that, he was faced with the dilemma of his sister being in danger, having to dig up his dead brother, all on top of it being his mom's death anniversary... I wanted to turn the tables to show him that his birthday was not a day for mourning, but a day for the celebration of his life.

I keep asking myself, what can I do to make this day not so bad? What can I do to make him forget about all the awful things happening around him?

I pulled into the quiet parking lot of our apartment building. Kai slowly got out of the vehicle, seemingly in a daze. He was wide awake, yet his mind was unfocused.

There were no bags or dark circles under his eyes like I expected. The whites of his hazel eyes weren't red from crying, but instead a pristine white.

We made our way to our room with leisure steps, taking our time. Kai's eyes were staring at the ground as I quickly punched in the code, opening the door and holding it open for Kai to go in. We took off our shoes and then I followed him to the bedroom where he slumped into the side of the bed. His elbows rested on his knees and he leaned forward, resting his head in his hands.

I sat down in the middle of the bed right next to him, crossing my legs.

"Kai?" I started.

He lifted his head from his hands and craned his neck to look at me, "Hmm?"

"What's going on in your head right now?" I asked him with a soft voice.

"Oh, I'm just thinking about everything..." Kai trailed off.

I stared at him, not saying anything while urging him to go into more detail.

He sighed, "I knew today was going to happen eventually. I've been preparing myself to face this kind of situation for years... I was ready, but still..."

I nodded my head, slightly biting my cheek as I thought of a reply. "Y'know," I began, "sometimes it's okay to not process things. Sometimes it's okay to distract yourself and forget about all things that are fucked up," I looked into his striking eyes.

"Yeah... It's not like I really want to think about all this stuff either. I wanted my first day with a boyfriend to be a bit more special," Kai pouted his lips playfully, yet there was still a hint of sadness in his tone.