Chapter 3: The Fears

"What do you mean, it's hers?" Aedion demanded. "You know damn well she hasn't left Terrasen since the war."

"Aedion, stop," Aelin said, placing a hand on her cousin's arm. "Dorian." She turned back to the King. "What exactly do you mean? I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with control over flames."

"Yes, but you're the only one descended from Mala Light-bringer," Dorian said. "Your fire is very distinct."

"Well, what's this fire doing?" Aelin asked. 

"It'll appear, burn down a building or two, then vanish and appear an hour later." Chaol said, his arm around Yrene, who was holding the now-awake Katrien and gently bouncing her. "No one's been hurt so far, but we've tried everything to stop it and nothing's worked." 

"It's not Aelin's." Rowan suddenly said. "She doesn't have enough power left to send anything to Adarlan." 

"We aren't accusing her-" Dorian tried to say, but Elide interrupted. 

"Forgive me, Majesty, but that's exactly what you are doing." She crossed her arms, looking even more threatening than her husband. 

"But..." Everyone looked to Evangeline as she spoke up. "But who's doing it, if it's not Aelin?" 

"That is a very good question," Manon replied, her brows arched. "No one comes close to the queen's power, even if it is depleted from that damned Lock." 

"Wait, what did you mean by 'her fire is distinct'?" Aedion asked Dorian. Dorian rubbed his face, stretching the skin across his bones. Aelin could see now just how tired he looked. 

"I mean... well, I don't know. It's more like... whenever I see it, it looks exactly like the power she used before the Lock. And it makes my own magic act... odd, I suppose." Dorian responded. 

"Odd how?" Aelin crossed her arms and began to pace, sweeping her long gown behind her as she walked. 

"Odd, like it feels almost like it's being called. That's the only way I can describe it." Aelin glanced up, noting that everyone in the room was watching her pace. Rowan's eyes were narrowed. He probably suspected she knew something but wasn't voicing it. 

Damn. He knew her too well.

"Evangeline." Aelin turned to the girl, who was standing next to Lysandra. "Be a dear and go see if Fenrys is around somewhere." 

Evangeline started to protest, but Lysandra squeezed her shoulder, interrupting her. Evangeline looked up at her, citrine eyes suspicious, but Lysandra smiled.

"We won't do anything until you get back. Don't worry." Her gaze flickered to Aelin for a moment, seeming to understand she wanted Evangeline out of the room. Lysandra was smart enough to not question it, but Aelin knew an interrogation would start the minute Evangeline was gone. 

"All right." Evangeline sighed, and left the hall, closing the door behind her with a loud bang

The moment it was shut, Rowan, Lysandra, Elide, and Yrene all turned to Aelin. 

"What do you know?" Lysandra asked. 

"You obviously know something, or you wouldn't have asked her to leave." Elide said, gesturing to the door. 

Aelin sighed and rubbed her temples. Damn. They all knew her too well.

"This knowledge better not involve anything life-threatening. I thought we were done with that." Lorcan warned. Aelin managed a laugh. 

"No, not life-threatening. And it's not something I know, it's something I suspect." She turned to face them all but met Rowan's gaze. His green eyes were apprehensive. 

It will be fine. She tried to convey. She took a deep breath. 

"I knew about the fires already. They've been happening here as well. But instead of my magic, it's-" 

"Mine." Aelin looked over at Dorian, who had his arms crossed and his gaze trained on the ground. "It's mine, isn't it? This can't be a coincidence." 

"No. It can't. But it's not just your magic, Dorian. There's also... something I've never seen before." Aelin met her mate's gaze again. His eyes were trained on her, making her feel as if he could see into her mind and know all her suspicions. 

"Is it..." Yrene suddenly spoke up, and everyone looked at her. "The different one. Is it water magic that is shaped like dogs?" Her face was solemn, and she wasn't looking at any of them, but rather at her daughter. 

Aelin's brow shot up. "Yes. How did you know?"

"Because I saw one yesterday just before we left. I thought I'd imagined it because it vanished in seconds, so I didn't say anything." Yrene glanced up at her husband. He frowned, then looked back at Aelin. 

"I know you have some suspicions, Aelin. Are you going to tell us, or not?" He asked. 

Aelin began to pace again, taking her crown off her already aching head and twirling it between her fingers. She took a deep breath...

"I found Fenrys. And Ren." Everyone looked up as Evangeline reentered the room, two men in tow. 

"Why is it we are always the last to know everything?" Fenrys asked as he walked over to the gathered group. 

"You said you'd be leaving last night!" Lysandra protested. "What are you doing here?" 

"Ran into him-" He jerked a thumb at Ren. "And he told me a very interesting story that convinced me traveling can wait." 

"You saw them too, didn't you?" Yrene asked. Ren cocked his head slightly. 

"If by them, you mean the water creatures prowling the city streets last night, then yes. I did." 

"Water creatures?" Evangeline demanded. "Wait, if he was supposed to leave, then why-" 

"Evangeline. Be quiet for a moment, dear, I'm trying to think." Aelin said, resuming her pacing once more. The hall was silent as her mind spun, working through the possibilities. Her magic and the water magic in Adarlan. Dorian's magic and the water magic in Terrasen. She stopped and looked at Dorian. 

"Summon your fire." She said. Dorian raised an eyebrow but flattened out one of his hands, splaying the fingers open. A small but bright flame ignited in his palm. Aelin did the same and came closer to compare the two. 

"Are these-" She gestured to her own hand. "-the flames you were seeing in Rifthold?" 

Dorian shook his head. "No. Well, yes, but they looked more like the ones you lost to the Lock. Brighter, and more powerful." 

Aelin nodded, closing her fist and snuffing out the flame. "It's the same with yours. They look exactly like what we used to seal the Lock. I'm... I'm worried that somehow, the Lock has broken, and our powers were released back into the world. Meaning..." Only Rowan had the courage to finish her thought, as everyone else had frozen in silence and fear.

"Meaning the gods could return."

Art by Monica Borg!