Chapter 32: The Idea

"Feyre, tell me something," Aelin said as she flopped onto the couch. Her tiara was clutched in both hands, held to her chest so she wouldn't hurt it. I watched her examine it, turning it so the gems flickered in the light. "How in the world did you ever love that egotistical, narcissistic, and pompous High Lord of Spring?" 

"Fancy words," I remarked. "And honestly, I don't really know. I suppose it was because he took care of me. He was the first person in my life who did that."

Aelin sat up, a golden brow arched haughtily. "Really? That's it? Cassian could probably take care of a woman, but that doesn't mean she'd love him." She paused, turning her eyes skyward. "Actually, I take that back. Cassian couldn't take care of a fish." 

I laughed loudly, and she joined in. After sitting in that room for so long, it felt good to sit and laugh with someone. But my thoughts from a few days ago ruined the moment. I needed to stop getting so close to the queen. She would leave, and I'd never see her again. I didn't need another heartbreak. 

"You keep doing that," Aelin remarked, setting her tiara on the table in front of her. "We'll be laughing, or talking, and you get this look on your face like you're trying not to think about something." 

I sighed through my nose, sitting down on the couch next to her. I kept forgetting how perceptive Aelin could be. 

"I'm just going to miss you, that's all," I said, fiddling with the skirt of my dress. A hand came to rest on mine, and I looked up at her. She was smiling sadly at me. 

"You think I haven't had the same thoughts?" She asked. "Gods above, Feyre, I'm going to miss you too." 

"Why, because I bought you cake?" 

Aelin's laughter filled the room, and she put both her arms around me, squeezing tight. "No, smartass, because you and I... well, you're my friend, Feyre." 

I returned the embrace, feeling my throat close up. "Even if it's all because of some all-powerful gods trying to kill me, I'm very glad I met you, Aelin." 

I felt her squeeze me tighter and let out a soft laugh. "Me too, Feyre."

"I hate to interrupt..." We turned to Rhys' voice coming from the doorway. He was smiling at both of us. "Helion's here. He wants to talk to Aelin." 

"Ah, the work of a queen is never done." Aelin sighed. She let go of me, squeezed my hand one more time, then stood up. 

"Don't worry, Cursebreaker," She told me. "When all this is done, we'll attend that art class at your studio, and you can teach me everything you know about painting." 

"I'm not sure I can put all of it into one lesson," I admitted. "But I'd like that very much." 

Aelin grinned at me, and then she was gone. Rhys came over to sit beside me, taking my hand in his. 

"I do believe I'll miss her as well," He said, looking at the empty doorway. "Solely because she's one of the only people I've ever seen beat Cassian so thoroughly." I smiled at the floor, thinking of that fight. Even days later, Cassian was still moving his arm stiffly. And he refused to get it healed out of sheer stubborn pride. 

"Do you think her plan will work?" I changed the subject, meeting his eyes. He was silent for a moment, rubbing his thumb over my hand. 

"I hope it will. It's risky." He admitted. 

"Well, Tamlin hated it, so I vote we go through with it just to spite him." I looked up, not all that surprised that Cassian was standing there grinning at us. 

"Isn't anyone here ever going to stop holding grudges?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"I doubt it. We're too stubborn," Mor called from behind Cassian. 

"Oh, Feyre?" I heard Aelin calling from the main room of the suite Tarquin had given us. "Come here a moment, please? You too, Rhysand. " 

I squeezed Rhys' hand, then stood up and moved around the table, him following behind. Mor trailed behind us into the main room, where Aelin and Helion waited. 

"Helion had an idea." She explained when I got there. "I wanted to run it by you, as you two seem the smartest of the bunch." 

"Thanks," Mor said, giving her a mildly annoyed look. She simply shrugged. 

I examined Helion and Aelin for a moment. "From the wicked gleam in your eyes, I assume it's a terrible idea." 

"Oh, definitely," Aelin agreed. "But it still has merit." 

"The thing is-" Helion said, ignoring both our comments. "We know the gods have the Cauldron, we know they're here in Prythian... but there's only one place they could be staying undetected that works." 

I crossed my arms. "Okay then. Where?" 

"Well, based on the maps I've seen and the stories you've told me, Feyre..." Aelin said hesitantly, her grin fading. "There's really only one place near enough to attack, but still hide." She waited for me to guess myself. But when I realized, I wished I hadn't. 

"Please tell me you don't mean Hybern." 

Art by kat_adara!