Chapter 34: The Island

I blinked a few times, adjusting to the darkness. We'd winnowed right next to the bone-white castle, and we were standing in its deep black shadow. 

Tarquin whistled quietly, looking up at the castle. "I can't decide if I'm impressed or worried." 

"Worried." Aelin and Kallias said together. Aelin gave him a grudging smile, then looked at the cracked-open door we'd appeared next to. "This is how you got in last time?" 

"Yes," I said, pushing the door open slightly. I looked over at Azriel, who nodded shortly and slipped inside. "Az will scout ahead a bit, then Aelin, Rhys, Rowan, and I will go in, alright? Cassian-" I looked over at the Illyrian General. "You'll bring the rest up after us, okay?" 

"If you find the Cauldron," Drakon warned, "Don't try to use it. If your suspicions are correct, it'll be very unstable." 

I nodded sharply at him, then turned back to the door when Azriel reappeared. 

"I didn't see anyone. It appears abandoned, except for those." He pointed into the hallway, where footprints were left in the layers of dust. 

"Those aren't yours, I assume?" Aelin asked. Azriel shook his head, and Aelin drew her sword. The red gem set into the hilt glittered in the moonlight. "Good. That means someone's here. And only people not from this world would be dumb enough to stay here." She eyed the castle warily. "This place feels... wrong." 

"I know what you mean," I told her, drawing my own Illyrian sword from the sheath on my back. "Let's do this quick and get out of here." 

Aelin and Rowan followed Azriel into the castle, but I paused and looked back at Rhys. I held out my hand to him. 

"Come on. After this, we'll help Mor tear into your wine cellar and congratulate ourselves on defeating deities." I said, trying to keep my tone light. I didn't want to admit how scared I was. For myself, but also for the life I still carried. I was surprised Tamlin, or anyone else for that matter, hadn't made a snide comment about it, since I was fairly certain everyone could scent it by now. 

But maybe I was still judging him unfairly. Maybe he really had changed. 

Rhys took my hand, and I knew he was thinking about the same thing as me. No matter how scared we were, we had to do this. Sadly, Aelin was right. Attacking first was by far the better strategy. Especially against a virtually unknown enemy. 

We followed Aelin into the castle, Rhys a comforting presence behind me, his hand in mine. We made our way through the halls when suddenly I felt it. I stopped short. 

Aelin. I heard a small thud when Aelin jumped as I spoke in her mind. I heard another thud as she grabbed Azriel by his armor and pulled him back to Rhys and I, Rowan following her.

"Damn, that scared me." She whispered. "What's wrong?" 

"It's here. The Cauldron." 

Aelin cursed. "Damn it. Okay, is it close?" 

"Very." I turned to my right, where a passageway led down stone stairs. "It's down there. I can feel it." I could feel that awful pounding, that heartbeat that began to tune into my own. I was momentarily grateful that damned Book of Breathings wasn't here to mumble nonsense in my head. 

Aelin took a cautious step towards the stairs, but was suddenly yanked backward by Rowan. She turned to glare at him, but he pointed at the floor. 

"Wyrdmarks. The gods were prepared." He said.

I looked down where one of her feet hovered over the stones, and my stomach turned. In dark red liquid, Wyrdmarks had been drawn. I only recognized a few, but I got the gist of it.