Chapter 11: The Promise

"Why on earth would someone steal your magic?" Aedion demanded. Aelin had gathered her court in a meeting room, not wanting to alert Dorian just yet. "It's not like they'd be able to control it." 

"Maybe they don't need to. Maybe they just set it loose on the world to cause panic." Lysandra said. 

"But that doesn't-"

"Aedion, please." Aelin rubbed her temple. He and Lysandra had been going back and forth for an hour now. "I don't know, alright? And again, I don't even know if someone has stolen my magic. It was just an idea, and I want to be wrong, believe me." 

"Could the gods have done it? Broken the Lock?" Elide asked, lacing her hands together. "Or did someone else do it and they just happened to come back?" 

"It does sound like something the gods would do." Aelin winced when everyone in the room flinched, sighed, or groaned. 

"Great. Another foe to beat. I thought you promised no more life-threatening adventures." Lorcan looked so angry, Aelin thought he might pick up the chair he was sitting in and toss it against the wall. Aelin would bet all the gold in her castle that she knew why Lorcan didn't want any more adversaries to beat. The woman sitting next to him, and the fact that he'd given up his immortality for her. He was probably afraid they wouldn't make it through whatever they were about to face. 

"I know. I'm sorry. It's not like I asked for this to happen. Things were just-" She stopped herself, taking a deep breath. "Well, that's neither here nor there. The point is, we need to prepare for... whatever it is we'll be facing." 

"And learn more about this other world you visited. It's connected somehow to all this." Elide said, standing up. "I'll take Lorcan and head out to ask around about... Velaris?" At Aelin's nod, she pulled her husband to his feet. 

"We'll be back before nightfall," Lorcan called over his shoulder as Elide dragged him out of the room. He was still scowling, but less so now that he was doing something. 

"Alright. We'll see you tonight then." Aelin turned back to the rest of her court as the door closed behind her. 

"Well, I for one do not trust this Feyre woman," Fenrys said. He was standing, arms crossed, next to Ren. "You all say we should warn her about the Lock being broken and shit, but how do we know she's not the one who broke it?" 

"What makes you say that?" Ren asked. "She's given us no reason to be suspicious." 

"It sounds like a trap. Having Aelin save her. And you said she tried to invade your mind." Fenrys said, looking at Aelin. Aelin pondered the idea for a moment. 

"I suppose that makes sense. We'll stay on our guard around her, of course, but I still side with Lysandra. She deserves the benefit of the doubt." 

"I suppose you're right. But I'm saying now that I don't think she's trustworthy." 

"Why, so you can say I told you so?" Lysandra teased. Fenrys laughed. 

"So you admit I'm right!" 

"Alright, Moonbeam, that's enough." Aelin waved him away, a smile on her face. "Get out of here and go do something useful." 

"Fine. Since Lorcan and Elide are asking around, perhaps I can go look through the Library of Orynth. You wouldn't believe the oddities they have down there." Fenrys looked over at Ren. "Want to come?" 

"Hm. Go look through a library, or stay here and listen to these royal snots bicker for another hour." Ren pretended to think it over. He pushed off the wall, following Fenrys out the door. "I'll see you all tonight." 

"Well, what are we supposed to do then?" Aedion asked. 

"Hm. You could go find Dorian and Manon for me." Aelin said. 

"Why?"

"Because I need to talk to them, obviously." 

"Why?" 

"Why are you such a stubborn ass?" Lysandra asked him, smacking him upside the head. "Come on, you look for Dorian and I'll find Manon." She shuddered slightly. "Actually, let's switch. The witch is very unnerving." 

Aelin laughed. "Yes, cousin dear, go find the Queen of the Crochans and Ironteeth. You'd better hope she's in a good mood." 

Aedion grumbled a bit but left to go find the witch. Lysandra turned to Aelin, her gaze warm. 

"Don't worry, Aelin. We'll figure this out." And then she, too, was gone. 

Aelin slumped in her chair. She wasn't wearing her crown today, but her shoulders still ached with stress. 

"Rowan, I'm not sure we're ready to face another huge world-ending enemy." She said, turning her head to look at her mate. 

"We don't know that's what we're facing, Fireheart," He said, stepping closer to her and taking her hand. She squeezed it, grateful for the comfort. 

"But that's the problem. We don't know exactly what we're facing. It could be the gods we know, or they could have something entirely new we haven't seen yet." She scowled at the table. "Should we alert our allies of this? Wendlyn, The Wastes, Illium..." 

"That's probably wise." Rowan said. She glanced over at him and saw that he was staring at the window. She followed his gaze and saw a wyvern soaring through the sky. From here, she could see the snow-white braid whipping in the wind. Aelin smiled wryly. Poor Aedion. Manon Blackbeak was not in a good mood if she was flying by herself this early. 

"I sometimes wonder." Aelin looked back at Rowan as he spoke again. "What would have happened if we hadn't bargained for Elena's life? Would Mala have helped you? Would you have survived without her help?" 

"I've thought of that too," Aelin said. She hadn't missed how he'd said 'we bargained for Elena'. She loved him for defending her mad decision. "I somehow doubt it. I would have spent all my power without her help. I wouldn't have been able to defeat Maeve, so even if I had survived with no magic, I would have died in battle." She felt her brows knit together. "Why?" 

"I've just been thinking it over. All of it. The decision to save Elena failed, but saved you and in turn Erilea." He met her eyes. "I realize we don't know exactly what's going on here. But I want you to promise me something, Fireheart." 

Aelin tried to keep a straight face. Gods above, he knew every thought she had. Every wild plan that'd gone through her head, every mad idea to try and protect Terrasen. "Yes?" 

"Promise me." He gripped her hand. "Promise me you won't do anything impulsive. Promise me you won't come up with a plan behind my back to sacrifice yourself for Terrasen. I need you here, and so does your kingdom. Promise me."

Aelin bit her lip. She could barely meet his gaze. She knew she had a tendency to keep her plans to herself. She'd lived so long fending for herself, it was a hard habit to break. But she wasn't alone now. She had friends, a family who didn't want to see her break herself into pieces to protect them. Even if she would gladly do so. 

"Aelin." Rowan didn't let her look away. "I know. I know that you'd rather you died than any of us. But I cannot lose you again. So promise me I won't." 

"I promise. You won't lose me again, I swear." Aelin said, then kissed her mate lightly. "And I won't come up with any brilliant plans to get me killed."

Rowan laughed. "Who said they were brilliant?" 

Aelin pulled back, glaring playfully at him. "I'll have you know, I have a very intelligent mind. And when I put it to good use, it never lets me down. It's almost as reliable as you." 

"It's the almost that worries me," Rowan replied, smirking. 

Art by Delaney Januzzi!

I have no idea why I like the idea of Fenrys and Ren being buddies, but it keeps popping into my head and I can't make it go away. Am I allowed to do that? Also, I hate writing scenes with the whole court. I always have the fear that I'm forgetting someone. There's too damn many of them!!

ALSO. UM. 500 VIEWS??? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?? 😆