16 | Survival Instinct

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Sixteen
SURVIVAL INSTINCT
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter Sixteen SURVIVAL INSTINCT └───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

Eight of us remain. Eight out of twenty-four in seven days. In a week more than half of us have died. Six of them I have killed trying to protect Monty only to have it fail on me. Turns out that I can't save anyone. Monty is dead and Calyptus is gone. I have no idea where she is or if she will make it to tomorrow, I think the remaining Career Tributes are chasing her.

I sat unmoving, cradling Monty's lifeless body in my arms. I know that I should move, that I can't stay here forever, but I can't bring myself to leave him. It is my fault that he's dead. I should have protected him better, I should have been better for him. I let him down, I let his father down, there is nothing I can do now but cry over my mistakes.

Throughout the night I waited on top of the mountain, I'm not sure what I was waiting on. Maybe death, I expected the Gamemakers to be mad at me for cheating them. And even more mad that I am mourning one of the fallen. I have a feeling that they don't want me to win because of what I have done. But I am determined to win, but not for me or my mother. I was going to win for Monty, a kind, young soul that deserved so much better than what the world offered him.

When the first rays of the sun start to peak out as the morning comes, I know that I need to leave. But my feet seem to be frozen to the ground. Tears stain my face as I look out behind me, the edge of the cliff, I see countless trees, all of them covered in snow. A few footprints here and there but they look faded, perhaps they were ours from yesterday.

Though the snow has stopped falling, the ground is still covered and the temperature is still freezing. I wonder when I win this will I have a cold or even frostbite from being out in the cold for a week? I sit in the snow shivering from the cold, when I get out of this I don't think I ever want to see snow again.

Then I hear it, the ringing. The sound of a sponsor gift. My head lifts up and my eyes gleam with hope. I spot the parachute falling down towards me and I quickly stand up to grab it. I notice that it is a lot bigger than the one I got before. Reaching out for it I open the container and see a weapon inside of it. A golden bow, glistening in the sunlight, and a quiver of twenty golden arrows. I pick up the bow in awe of how beautiful it is. Then I see the note at the bottom of the container, "Stay strong, you can do this." It is signed W. I can only assume that means Willow.

For the first time since yesterday I smile, "Thank you." I say out into the sky. I run my fingers along the side of the bow, it's so slick and smooth. My fingers brush across the string giving it a slight pull to see how strong it is. It's nothing that I can't handle, but it is pretty strong. The smile never leaves my face, I am back in the game. I got my weapon, and a motive to win. I can do this.