Dear Best Friend, I Love You

Sometimes, I feel like I'm living in a doomed play. An antagonist to my own story, dreaming of a happily ever after that I know would never come true.

Every day, I put on a mask to conceal how I really feel inside. I carefully choose my words and overanalyze yours. I take every little gesture as a sign that you love me, although deep down I know that it's my thoughts fooling me all over again.

You are my best friend, and I'm scared of losing you just because you know that I love you. So, I shut out my feelings and tell myself that I'm such a fool for falling for you every single day for the past 4 years. I'm such a fool for loving someone that could never be mine, but how can I ever stop?

I love the way you look at me. I love the way your eyes beam when we talk close, how it makes me feel warm inside. I love the way you complete me, how we complete each other. I love the way you encourage me to be a better person, and I love you.

A part of me wishes that you are reading this right now and every other poem I wrote about you in the past. I want you to know how I feel, because deep down I still hope that you feel the same way. But, I'm also scared of losing you. I'm so afraid of pushing you away just because you don't feel the same way. I don't want to lose you forever.

So, here I am, an antagonist of my own story, an actor of a doomed play. I pretend as if we have a chance in this make-believe dream, but I also know that you love someone else.

So dear best friend, I hope that you are always happy, even if it's not with me. I will learn to let you go, but just know that I will never stop loving you. I will love you from afar, the way I've always done these past few years. I hope that you find someone who makes you happy, complete, and feel genuinely loved, the way you make me feel, every single day.

Dear best friend, thank you for showing me what love is. Thank you for giving me this feeling and making me privileged enough to feel love.

Dear best friend, I love you.