22. SURPRISE...SURPRISE?

Looking at the bright lights and moderate crowd in front of me, I grab Nikhil's hand and walk excitedly to the carnival with a skip in my step.

"Careful there Ritu." Nikhil warns as I almost trip and fall after getting our tickets.

"It's been long since I went to a carnival! Don't tell me to not be excited!" I exclaim while sticking out my tongue at him but take his advice and slow down a bit.

"Where to?" He asks me as I look around the various rides.

"Everywhere!" I almost yell.

Chuckling, he takes my hand and leads us to the roller coaster—being the observant good friend he is, he'd remembered my favorite ride.

Starting there, we go through all the rides—the slow ones and the fast ones, heck, we even went to a kids' ride—except the Ferris wheel saving it for later.

We scream, we laugh, we talk, we hold hands, we smile, we tease and we have fun.

Me, him and our happiness.

But the entire time a nagging thought of how we'd be after I change schools stays stuck in the back of my mind.

Shaking it off, I try to relish the present—us—and stop worrying about what the future beholds.

A cotton candy shop comes in my sight and I turn to see that Nikhil notices it too.

"Cotton Candy?" We ask at the same time and grin widely at our antics before making our way to the shop, hand-in-hand.

We get one for each and walk to a nearby bench and sit down.

I take a bite of the candy and its sugary flavor bursts in my tongue, making me close my eyes with a sigh.

When I open my eyes I see Nikhil's hands taking a piece of my candy and succeed in doing so before I could snatch it away.

He puts it into his mouth letting a moan while looking at me, a teasing glint in his eyes while I scowl at him.

I reach out and grab a huge chunk from his candy and shove it into my mouth with a smirk on my face.

He gapes at me and quickly swipes another bite from mine and we end up with Nikhil eating my candy and I, his.

Finally we go to the Ferris wheel and wait for our turn to get into a cab.

Once we do, we talk about how his studies are going and how I'll be changing schools for the next academic year.

"I'll miss you." He says while lacing our fingers and looking at them.

"So will I. More than you think I will." I whisper the last part to myself.

Nervousness fills through me as I remember my confession which he had accidentally overheard, but I give it a go anyway.

"I— I....I" I start stammering and Nikki squeezes my hands.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it now." He says, knowing what I was gonna talk about.

Ugh. Him and his best friend instincts!

"No." I state firmly, grasping the only chance where I'd be able to tell him without chickening out. Being this high from the ground gave me a teeny weeny bit of courage.

It's called 'adrenaline' dickhead.

And you are the brain of this 'dickhead'.

"That's fine, you can—"