Chapter Nine

For Jinnie -- i always enjoy reading your comments; they inspire me to write some more :)

***

I received two more notes this day. The other note, which I found again slipped inside the pages of my book, said:

"Your hair is as soft as the silk spun of gold...

Your lips are as crimson as a blood red rose..."

The other one went like this:

"Your smile captured my soul...

Your touch gave warmth to a night so cold..."

The last note was handed to me by a ten year old boy from the elementary department of our school. The kid would not give me the description of the guy who asked him to deliver the note.

"I promised him I will never reveal his secret," the kid answered me.

I tried bribing him with a fifty peso bill. The boy gave me a frown and said, "Bribery is bad."

And so I felt ashamed of what I did and just allowed the boy to go.

I went out of the campus to grab some coffee since I still felt sleepy this morning. I spent my evening reviewing for the mid-terms this week. And thankfully, Mer decided to drop the Mystery Man hunting for a while, just until the mid-term exams end.

I used the alley beside the school as a short cut and that was where I saw Franco being held by two guys while another one thrust a fist on his stomach.

I didn't know what came over me --I suddenly shouted "hey!" with a clear intention of saving Franco from getting beaten to death by possibly a rival gang member, when the group's leader cried an order "get her!" I know, I know. That wasn't a very smart move on my part.

The two guys dropped Franco's arm and was about to go after me when suddenly I saw Franco swung his arms towards his assailant and delivered a very nasty jab on his face. He then shoved the two guys out of his way and ran towards me. Grabbing my wrists, he tugged me along and we sprinted to a run.

We ran for I had no idea how long. I just allowed him to lead the way as we turned to a corner and ran towards an abandoned building. We went inside and stopped, both of us trying to catch our breath. And I realized he was still holding my hand. My hand! And there's that weird electric current on my arm again. Oh god, why did electricity suddenly felt good? It felt as if my skin was alive. And on fire. Was I making any sense?

Not letting go of my hand, he gave it a light tug and said, "This way."

We walked further inside, passing along a hallway until we reached a large hall. As we stepped inside the hall, I let out a gasp. The walls of the room were covered with murals --landscapes, abstracts, you name it and it's painted on the wall.

"Wow." I couldn't let my amazement escape from my mouth. "This is incredible. Do you know who painted these?" I approached the wall and touched a picture of a mountain.

"I did," he answered gruffly.

I snapped my head at him, my face clearly showed I did not believe him. He might have noticed my disbelief because of the frown he gave me, so I schooled my facial expression. "You're good."

"Thanks." It seemed he was really not used to hearing someone giving him compliments for he avoided my gaze. He rubbed a hand at the back of his neck. "I'd really appreciate it if you'll keep this a secret."

"But why? Other people should see this. You have talent!"

"Because Franco the gang member and Franco the painter are really two different people," he answered. "Besides, no one will believe you."