Chapter VI: Iron and Blood

It was a sunny Friday morning, and a week since Douglas Lockheart took up the position as Chief Engineer of Azur Lane.

Most of that time was spent working on the Amagi, though he did help with minor problems when they arose on other vessels.

Like the time he had to fix up the two Ise-class battleships, Hyuuga and Ise, after they decided that it was okay to take a barrage of cannon fire to the face. He...didn't take it very well.

"WHAT KIND OF NUMB-SKULLS ARE YOU?!" He roared at the two abashed women. "IF I HEAR EITHER OF YOU TWO PULLING SOMETHING LIKE AGAIN, YOU WILL HAVE SOMETHING FAR WORSE THEN SIRENS AFTER YOUR KEISTERS...ME."

Safe to say, they made sure not to get on his bad side after that.

He really didn't get those two. A battleship's role is to provide long raged artillery support, not to get in the enemy's faces. That's the vanguards job.

Speaking of the vanguard, a particular light cruiser has been making a nuisance of herself lately. Or at least, that how Douglas sees it.

That Head Maid, Belfast, has been hounding him since the day he accepted the position, most likely at the behest of Hood. Constantly making sure he is 'eating healthy' and all that bullocks. Like he needs a woman to tell him what he can and cannot eat!

Even now, working on some piping within the Amagi, the bloody maid still won't leave him the hell be.

"Master Lockheart, I must insist that you have something to eat!" Implores Belfast, her patience running dangerously low with the Scottish Engineer.

"And I told you, lassie, that I will eat when I am good and ready!" Douglas roars back at her, his clothes stained with oil, grease, and grimy saltwater.

"You must eat to keep your strength up, Master Lockheart." Belfast tries to reason, "How will you be able to perform your duties properly if you put off your meals?"

Douglas puts down the wrench he is using with a sigh. "Listen, lass, there is a way I do things, alright? One of them is me having a light breakfast in the morning before I go to work. And if it makes you feel any better, I usually have a large lunch afterward."

Satisfied for now, the Head Maid left Douglas to his work. But the peace that Douglas had was quickly interrupted.

"Douglas!"

"Oh, for crying out loud, what?!" Douglas looks up from what he is doing to find Collins and what looked to be a young girl dressed in a uniform standing next to him.

Collins raises an eyebrow. "Good morning to you too, Douglas."

"Ah shut it, Edward," Douglas grumbles as he gets to his feet. "What do you want?"

"Should you be talking to the Admiral like that?" The young girl asks him.

Collins waves his hand dismissively, "Don't worry, he's like that with everyone. Douglas, may I present Z23, a Destroyer of the Iron Blood."

The young girl does a crisp salute, "An honor, sir."

Douglas looks down at the German Destroyer, glancing over her features. She was wearing what looked to be a standard uniform of the German Navy, except for two things. One, her arms were bare, and instead of pants, she was wearing shorts.

'If my mother were around to see the clothes these girls were wearing, she would throw a fit.' Thought Douglas with amusement.

"Nice to meet you, lassie." He says to the young destroyer. He returns his gaze to Collins. "So, what do you need, Edward?"