2 | l e g e n d s

[1.1]

"no, not my girlfriend"

Michelle Williams, or Mickey as she preferred, seemed to have the whole world ahead of her

Michelle Williams, or Mickey as she preferred, seemed to have the whole world ahead of her. With perfect grades and a promising career as a ballet dancer, as well as a twin brother and group of friends that she adored, she couldn't ask for a better life. And then it was taken away.

On that fateful night in 1995, dying was the last thing on Mickey's mind. She had rushed from her final dress rehearsal of Swan Lake, which would be opening the next night, and headed straight to The Orpheum club. It was there that her twin brother, Bobby Williams, and his band were going to be playing for the night. It was the biggest gig that Sunset Curve had landed, and Mickey was just glad she hadn't gotten there too late — she had arrived just as the soundcheck began.

"One, two, three! Take off, last stop. Countdown 'til we blast open the top. Face first, full charge. Electric hammer to the heart. Clocks move forward, but we don't get older, no. Kept on climbing 'til our stars collided."

Mickey slid on a barstool to watch the guys with a big grin. As Luke took over the lead lyrics, Alex rocked on the drums, Reggie jumped up and down to the beat excitedly, and Bobby held his guitar up to the mic. Now or Never was one of Mickey's favorite songs on their demo, meaning she quickly got up to dance to it. She didn't mind that she was the only one out on the floor considering that the club was basically empty. The guys still grinned at her appreciatively as she sang along.

"Hear the noise in my head. It's calling out like a voice I can't forget. One life, no regrets. Catch up, got no time to catch my breath. And clocks move faster 'cause it's all we're after now, oh. Won't stop climbing 'cause this is our time, yeah. When all the days felt black and white. Those were the best shades of my life."

Mickey cheered loudly when it got to Alex's solo, given that he very rarely did vocals despite having a wonderful voice. "We ain't searching for tomorrow. 'Cause we got all we need today. Living on a feeling that's been running through our veins. We're the revolution that's been singing in the rain."

Reggie winked at Mickey as it got to his little solo, knowing that it was her favorite part of the song simply because he was singing it. She brought her fingers to her lips and whistled for him. Then the guys stopped their instruments and started to clap to the beat while chanting the rest of the lyrics, which Mickey joined in on.

"Don't look down 'cause we're still rising up right now." As the guys played the next notes on their guitars, smoke shot up from the stage. "And even if we hit the ground, we'll still fly. Keep dreaming like we'll live forever, but live it like it's now or never. It's now or never!"

When the song finished, the guys looked out at the basically empty venue filled with pride. Sure, the audience wasn't there yet, but they were already lining up outside. Mickey and the Orpheum employees cheered for them loudly.