9 | a l o n e

[1.4]

"whoever that was back there, he wasn't my bobby"

Bobby could hear quiet snickers coming from his sister's room

Bobby could hear quiet snickers coming from his sister's room. He had been tuning his guitar in his room when he had noticed Reggie climbing in Mickey's window, as he so often did — one would think he'd get more graceful at it over time, but he continued to struggle to lift himself through the frame. But it didn't take long before Mickey had cheered Reggie up and they began to goof off.

In the short months that Mickey had known all the boys from Sunset Curve, she had become the closest to the bass player. In almost no time at all, Reggie had opened up to Mickey about everything in his life. He trusted her and she was always there as a friend and shoulder to cry on. It made Bobby happy, just knowing that Reggie had someone as wonderful as his sister in his life.

While Bobby didn't mind that Reggie now spent so much time in his sister's room — he trusted both of them together — the same couldn't be said for their parents. They made it no secret that they didn't like Mickey hanging out with a bunch of guys in a rock band. They'd rather she make more friends in her ballet program, despite how hard she tried to explain to them that all those girls were horrible.

So, while Bobby was happy that Mickey had cheered Reggie up, he knew he needed to put a stop to their constant giggles. There was no telling how angry their father would be if he found out Reggie had been staying the night in his baby girl's room at two a.m. on a weekend.

Bobby lightly knocked on Mickey's door, effectively cutting off whatever Reggie had been muttering to her. He chuckled and rolled his eyes when he heard shushing from the other side of the door, and he could just picture Mickey trying to shove Reggie under her bed or in her closet. After a few more moments, Mickey poked her head out of the door.

When she saw her brother, her shoulders relaxed and she smiled. "Hi, Bubba. What can I do for you?"

"I can hear Reggie from the hallway," he explained. "Dad's gonna flip if he finds out that Reg is in your room."

Mickey pouted up at him, worried that Bobby was going to make him leave. "Well, I'm not letting him go home tonight. Not while his parents are like this."

"I'd never tell you to kick him out, Mickey," Bobby assured her, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Just try to be quieter so you don't wake them up. Or play a movie to cover up his voice. I don't want you to get in trouble."

"Well, we were thinking about watching Ghostbusters. You wanna join and make it one big sleepover?" she asked, rocking back and forth.

Bobby grinned down at her and she quickly copied his smile. "I'll make the popcorn."

"Awesome! I'll go grab the tape from the living room."

"And maybe tell Reggie he can get out from under the bed. I know how messy it is under there," Bobby told her.