ii. disrupted slumber

━━ 彡。༉༄˚✧ ━━

SLEEPING. That was something most people love. Especially Aurora. The young girl is known to be someone that prioritizes her sleep more than anything, except eating of course. But just like some other nights, she just couldn't sleep. She was laying, staring at the ceiling that had a lonesome single chandelier hanged up to it. The chandelier wasn't that grand, it was made up of crystal, had a medium size, slightly dusty. Despite it being placed there randomly, Aurora couldn't help but think about what Joel told her about it.

It was the chandelier that his mother handed to him when they were on their way to evacuate Fairville. It wasn't that great but she knew that it was special. T'was something that could remind him of his home before it was destroyed just like the rest of the houses. Although it held a bad memory, it also holds good ones. Like how he passes it everytime he gets home, or how they bought it and how hard it was to attach it to their ceiling.

Every single thing can hold a memory. It could either be something you see, smell, hear and even taste. Memories have a special place in our hearts, it builds up your personality and it holds the things that made us who we are today. Our memories are like mental time travels that helps us remember our past and the people who has influenced us to be like ourselves.

Sighing, Aurora looked down from the ceiling and saw Joel with his sketchbook on his hand. The latter glanced at Aurora as she sat up on her bed and looked at him.

“Couldn't sleep either?” Joel questions. He had an expression on his face that he hid very well. Aurora saw through him of course, she is his best friend after all. She just nodded and pulled out the dagger from under her pillow then placed it aside, knowing she wouldn't be sleeping any moment from now.

Joel eyes widen at this and coughed out a comment, “W-why do you have a knife hidden under your pillow?”

“You'd never know if someone would suddenly come here and give you cake.” Aurora joked lamely with an amused smile.

Joel rolled his eyes, “Wow, nice dad joke, where'd you get it from?”

“My dead father.” The girl bit her lip when Joel released an awkward sigh.

Aurora cleared her throat and finally asked, “Why are you up at this hour?”

Joel shrugged and placed his colored pencil onto its case. “Just thinking about things.” He sighs. “It's been a shitty week, that's all.”

Aurora walks over to his bed and motioned to him if she could sit beside him, receiving a nod in return. She opened her arms and he got the message. He laid his head on her shoulder while both of them embraced each other. “Wanna talk about it?” She finally asked after she felt him relax.

“It's just that—” He now sat up, the two no longer in their embrace. “I don't feel like I've been pushing my weight. I'm useless. If I just acted faster and didn't freeze then maybe I could've helped Connor—”