Nineteen

-- The Chapter in Which Shit Finally Goes Down --

ruh roh, buckle up guys 😳😳 p sure this is the longest chapter of the whole book, yikes.

----

11:00 AM, April 10th

Gerard wandered into the art classroom as the third period bell rang, glancing around curiously as students began to trickle in. 

Placing his things by the solitary desk beside Mrs. Smith's, he stood there awkwardly as he awaited her arrival. Standing there uneventfully for a few moments, his breath caught in his throat as he spotted a familiar face come bouncing through the door. 

Goddamn Frank was in this class.

Gerard's eyes widened impossibly large as he nearly choked on his own spit -- attempting to make himself as discreet as possible as he slunk back against the wall, praying that he wasn't as obvious as he felt he was being.

Although, Frank had no idea that he was the one that he had been texting, so why should he be worried?

But then again, Frank had heard his voice -- although, he did sound quite different over the phone...

Fuck, Gerard was screwed.

He tried to keep his gaze discreet as he watched Frank, the boy far shorter than he had originally expected. That wasn't a bad thing though, Gerard supposed. His hair still looked utterly ridiculous, although in person... it kinda suited him. He was clad in torn-up jeans that clung far too tightly to his legs to even fathom breathability, and his torso in a baggy t-shirt the exact opposite -- the Misfits logo sagging loosely from the fabric.

Shit, why hadn't they ever talked about music before? Frank was obviously into it. Gerard was too busy mentally smacking himself to notice Frank staring right back at him for a solid few seconds, furrowed eyebrows and his lips pursed in confusion.

But when he did notice, he nearly passed out.

Immediately, he glanced away, thanking god that Mrs. Smith had chosen to make her entrance then. 

"Gerard!" She exclaimed happily. "Oh, I'm so glad that you could make it."

Gerard smiled politely, trying his hardest to ignore Frank's presence in the room, despite the fact that the younger boy's attention was now caught elsewhere.

"Right, so," Mrs. Smith said. "They're doing full-body portraits right now, and I know that you're really good with that, better than I am, so I figured you could help out anybody who needs it."

"Erm, okay, yeah, I can do that." Gerard said, distracted and suddenly nauseous as he briefly caught Frank's gaze again -- Frank seeming hesitant and confused before turning back to his phone not-so-discreetly beneath the table.

Thankfully for him, he didn't have too long to linger on it, as the bell was ringing out shrilly -- the last student coming sprinting in, sliding into their seat at the literal last second.

"Goodness," Mrs. Smith laughed. "You got real lucky, Zack."

The kid only sent her a wide, goofy smile, throwing his head back as he caught his breath.

"Okay!" Mrs. Smith clapped, approaching the front of the room and fixing her askew glasses once she shut the door. "We're going to continue working on our portraits today, and I've brought someone in to help."