Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Nine

Archer placed his hand on the small of my back and guided me forward. "I knew your great-aunt all of her life."

I flattened my lips into a straight line. "How is that possible?" He just smiled and kept walking, so I asked another question. "So, you were good friends with her, then."

"With Hazel? Yes. But I also knew her mother before her. I've known every woman who has owned the Reynard."

"You were friends with all of them?"

A bitter scoff escaped his lips and his violet eyes darkened. The muscles in his jaw ticked and his fingers along my spine grow rigid. "No. Not friends. Not even friendly."

"But if it were true that you knew them all...well, there would be a whole lot of problems. For instance, your stunning good looks, not even men that knew Hazel her entire life look as good as you," I joked, trying to lighten the mood.

He looked at me with amusement, and I breathed a little easier at the smile that crossed his face. "My brother and I age differently than you."

I rolled my eyes. "And apparently you're invisible too. It all makes perfect sense."

"We're not invisible...unless we want to be."

"So you're saying you are ghosts?"

He laughed, and the sound was like warm honey on a summer day. It made me want to lean my head against his shoulder and feel the warmth of his skin. Whatever Archer was my body was reacting to him in magical ways.

"We aren't ghosts, but we aren't human either."

I looked him up and down, unable to hide my skepticism. "You look pretty human to me. What are you, then, an elf? Werewolf? Vampire?" I shook my head and lifted his arm closer to my face. "Nah. Not sparkly enough."

"Would that be the book you are referencing or the movie?"

"I didn't know that supernatural beings were into pop culture, and you're changing the subject."

"You'll find that I'm full of surprises, but give me some time, Gemma." He flashed me a heart-melting grin, and when I didn't return it, he blew out a breath that rattled his lips. "Do you really need to know all my secrets tonight? How will I get you to accompany me on another nightly stroll if I have nothing to lure you back with?"

As much as I hated to admit it, it wouldn't take much luring. Even if this whole I-am-as-old-as-the-hotel-and-full-of-magical-secrets act was a lie, I was fascinated with him. But he didn't have to know that.

"Touché." After a second, I added, "Well, fair is fair. Do you want to ask me anything?"

He didn't hesitate before asking, "Who were you having dinner with tonight?"

I smirked at the quickness of his question, but then quickly realized he'd been watching me earlier in the night. I didn't know whether to be flattered or freaked out. "Jealous?"

He shrugged and crammed his hands in his pockets. "Perhaps."

That brought a smile to my lips. "It was my older brother, Hunter. He's a contractor and is helping me fix up the hotel."

"Would it be too bold of me to ask you to join me for dinner tomorrow night? I could cook."

My heart skipped a beat, and I jump at the opportunity to get more of my questions answered. "No, that's not too bold. I'd love that...your place?" 

"If you recall, I have a brooding brother who makes a terrible dinner guest. How about I meet you in Hazel's room?"

"It's actually my room now," I said. "Well, it will be after I move all my stuff in there."

Archer clasped my hand in his, and we stopped walking. "That will be perfect." He pressed his lips to my knuckles and every cell in my body was buzzing. Such a pure gesture had me feeling week in the knees. "Until tomorrow night, Gemma."

"Good night, Ar—"

And just like that, he disappeared.

I twirled in a slow circle, looking for any sign of him. But he was gone.

"Definitely a vampire," I mutter under my breath.

"Definitely not a vampire."

I whipped my head toward the deep somber voice. Resting against the side of the building was Soren, his arms crossed and dayglow blue gaze simmering through me.

I stepped closer to him, resting a hand on my hip. "Then what are you?"

"Dangerous. Keep your distance, Gemma. You have much to lose if you don't. If you know what's good for you, you'll steer clear of both me and Archer."

My body heated, and my hands shook with the irritation coursing through me. The only thing I hated more than certainties was being told what to do. It may be petty, but I could now guarantee that I was not staying away from Archer.

"No problem, Soren. I will keep as much distance from you as humanly—or inhumanly—possible."

He grunted and pushed away from the wall. "Keep away from my brother. Do your job, run the hotel, and stop fraternizing with the things that go bump in the night. You have your job and we have ours, so let's keep it strictly business."

Each of his warnings only firmed my resolve. My date with Archer would happen if it was the last thing I did.

"Like you said, you and me, we're business. Less than business. In fact, don't ever speak to me again, and we'll be good to go. Got it?"

He stalked toward me, and I took a step back before planting my feet and lifting my chin. He stopped with only inches between us and shoved what I thought at first was his hand into my chest. But when I looked down, I found a heavy gilded book. "You have the key to open it. Read it. Learn what we're all about, and then decide if you want to warm my brother's bed."

Soren vanished, leaving me holding what he claimed was the answer to all my questions.