Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Ten

The book Soren gave me laid heavy in my arms as I walked down the hallway. His claim that I would find answers to my questions about him, his brother, and this hotel was enticing. I'd spent days contemplating what was going on inside these walls. But the closer I got to my room, it was Archer's warning that played the loudest in my mind. Once I tell you, you can never go back. It will change everything, even you.

It was a simple decision when I was standing in front of a gorgeous, mysterious man. Of course, I wanted to unwrap all his secrets. But having all the answers cradled in my arms with no one to assure me that all would be well, I wasn't sure I wanted that burden. I'd learned a long time ago that there was something to be said for remaining blissfully ignorant when it came to family matters, and I wasn't ready to commit to that type of heartache.

I set the book on top of the dresser when I entered my room and occupied myself with getting ready for bed. The hot water from the shower relieved the tension in my shoulders and it felt good to have my body scrubbed and shaved after the long day I had. I almost forgot about the book until I climbed under the covers and turned onto my side.

The moonlight shining through the window illuminated the cover, its golden clasp catching the light and beckoning me to look inside. I threw back the covers and mumbled, "The only reason I feel like I'm going out of my mind is because this place is making me sleep deprived. I just need ten minutes of sanity...to talk to someone who isn't a ghost...vampire...whatever or believes in them."

I plucked my hoodie from the chair and threw it on over my nightshirt and shorts.

The hallway was void of any mumbled conversations or creepy shadows, but that didn't stop me from speed walking. I tapped on the door three down from mine, placed my mouth close to the door jam, and stage-whispered, "Hunt, are you still awake?"

It sounded like bare feet hit the wooden floor and there was a rustling of fabric. Two voices hissed an exchange with each other before the handle jiggled, and my brother stood before me in nothing but joggers. He propped an arm up on the doorframe, blocking me from seeing into his room.

"What's going on, Gem?"

I tilted my head back and forth, trying to get a peek of who else was with him. When my efforts came up short, I directed my attention to him. "I was having a hard time falling asleep and thought we could talk. Are you busy with...something?"

Hunter ran his hand through his dark blond waves and smirked. "I was kind of in the middle of something."

I laughed and crossed my arms over my stomach. "Yeah, I can tell. Just meet me in the morning for coffee and we can talk then. I won't keep you from...who—whatever you're doing right now," I said with a wink before turning to go back to my room.

"For Christ's sake, Hunter, let your sister in." My brother was nudged out of the way and a familiar face peered back at me. Hunter's high school best friend and on-again-off-again boyfriend, Caden. "She is clearly having a moment, and you'll have no problem getting it up again."

Caden grabbed my arm with an umber hand and pulled me into the room as my brother mumbled his disapproval and shut the door.

"Long time no see, Gems; what have you been up to?" Caden asked.

I looked away as he bent his bald head into the minifridge Hunter set up in the room and his bright red briefs strained against his round ass. "Oh, ya know, just running a hotel, getting asked out on dates by strange men, trying to prove to our family that I can do this...just a little bit stressed." I took the bottle of water from him and smiled as I screwed off the lid and gulped down a quarter of it in one swallow. "Sorry, that was a whole lot."