Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Twenty-Four

I pulled Archer against me for one more kiss before he left my room. Hunter was going to be over any minute to review the final plans for the bar, and I still hadn't told him I was involved with anyone, let alone one of the "resident spirits."

Stretching my arms over my head, I yawned widely and sprang out of bed. I whistled through my whole morning routine, and the feeling in my belly was on the edge of giddiness.

It had been a couple of weeks since our rendezvous in the billiards room, and the heat between us hadn't cooled a bit. Although I was in no hurry to define our relationship, I had to admit that my feelings for Archer were beginning to run a little bit deeper than lust. I've never felt so appreciated, so desired, and perhaps there was a chance of something more with him down the road. Way down a long and winding road littered with speed bumps.

A knock on the door sprang me from my daydreams, and I rushed over to let my brother in.

"Good morning, Hunt," I said, grinning at the familiar pink box in his hand. "Are those chocolate cream-filled doughnuts?" My stomach growled at the thought of the melt-in-your-mouth chocolate mousse.

"Yes ma'am, from Put a Spell on You. I know it's your favorite bakery, and they actually weren't packed this morning," he said, setting the box on the counter.

I'd been so busy with the hotel that I hadn't ventured out into Spelling more than a couple of times to grab necessities. It was on my list of things to do. I wanted to become reacquainted with the town and all its hidden gems. It was part of my job to direct hotel guests to all the must-see places, and I knew if Raven were running things, she would already have a long list of her favorites.

"Are you ready to look at these plans?"

"Yeah, just let me grab one of these," I said, snatching a pastry from the box and motioning for him to join me on the couch. "Spread them on the coffee table."

Hunter pushed the centerpiece to the edge of the table and his eyebrow dipped when he reached for the gilded tome. "What is this?"

Shit. "Oh, nothing, it's just a book I found in the study. History of the hotel and stuff like that."

"Oh, boring," Hunter said, and I breathed a sigh of relief as he set it on the corner of the plans with a thunk. I didn't want to explain why it sent him bursting into flames if he tried to open it. "We'll use it as a paperweight."

After we inspected the plans and I gave them my stamp of approval, Hunter stood and made his way to the door. Before he turned the knob, he whirled around and raised his eyebrow at me. "Hey, sis, remember that guy you came to my room about in the middle of the night?"

My cheeks flushed, and I nodded as very recent memories of Archer on a pool table, in my bed, and on Hazel's antique dining table flooded my mind. "Yeah. What about him?"

Hunter grinned and leaned against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. "I'm going to guess by the amount of blood in your cheeks that you ended up going for it."

I laughed and looked up at the ceiling, unable to keep the goofy grin from spreading over my face. "Uh, yeah. I guess you could say that."

"Am I ever going to get to meet him?"

"Maybe, maybe not."

"He had better be good to you."

"Goodbye, Hunter!" I said with a wave.

"Bye, Gem. And remember to use protection."

"Ew. Go."

Checking the clock, I wondered if it would be too pathetic of me to find Archer this soon after he left. I thought of our unresolved business in bed this morning and decided I didn't care.