Wattpad Original

Original Edition: Thirteen

I worked loose the hem of Archer's shirt from his jeans as he pressed me into the back corner of the third-floor hallway. His tongue brushed over mine while his hands slithered under my polo shirt and cupped my breasts.

Almost every day since our intimate dinner, I had found myself in a compromising position with him somewhere in the hotel. It was a risk to be so bold in the middle of my workday, but it was also a great stress reliever. Not to mention that sneaking around like two hormone-driven teenagers gave our rendezvous an added thrill.

Yet we hadn't taken our physical relationship to the next level.

It was more my choice than his, a little nagging voice that kept telling me to slow down, the rational part of me that knew so many unanswered questions remained between us.

Archer worked the button of my jeans open, and his fingers wiggled under the top of my panties. I hitched my leg over his hip, giving him better access to me.

"Gem, you down here?"

In a panic, I pushed Archer away and fumbled to button my pants. "Do the weird vanishing thing. I can't let my brother meet you like this."

Archer shook his head and smiled. "The man is eventually going to figure it out, Gemma."

"Not today. Go!"

Hunter rounded the corner just as Archer disappeared into a cloud of smoke.

"Who are you talking to? You're starting to worry me with your wandering and constant talking to yourself." He glanced around and back at me with alarm in his eyes. "Are you smoking?"

I nearly choked on air as I shook my head. "No! God, why would you ask me that?"

He raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. "Because there's clearly a cloud of smoke behind you."

Shit. "Ugh. You caught me," I lied, shrugging my shoulders and shoving my hands in my pockets. "I picked up one of those vape pens in town the other day...thought it might help my stress." I coughed for effect. "I actually hate it, going to get rid of it as soon as I get back to my room."

Hunter narrowed his eyes. "I'm watching you, Gemma. Something weird is going on with you, and I'm going to figure it out. I know you too well."

My heart thumped against my chest, but I forced a smile. "All right, Hunter, point taken. I know I need to focus more on my work." I leaned against the wall and asked, "What did you need me for?"

"You asked me to remind you about your meeting with the permit officer. I didn't want you to forget that its today at eleven. We need to get that back porch rebuilt as soon as possible, or someone is going to fall through those rotting planks."

"Damn, you're right, I totally forgot, but I'll be down there before he gets here."

"Just call if you need me for anything," Hunter said before heading back down the hallway.

I released a long breath and slicked back my ponytail with my palms. "Damn, that was close," I said, moving away from the corner, ready to follow my brother's path.

"You are so worried about being caught with my brother that I bet you still haven't read the tome I gave you. Your priorities are a little fucked, Gemma."

I whirled around, my ponytail whipping me in the face. I slung it over my shoulder and glared at the blue-eyed twin behind me. "Shut up, Soren," I said, knowing it was a childish comeback. "How about you mind your own business like we discussed?"

He stepped forward, his frame menacing, clad in all black. "How about you quit acting like you don't care about what's going on here and pull the book out of the goddamn nightstand. Make no mistake, the man you are messing around with is not human."

A chill, unlike the ones Archer sent through me, rattled my bones. Not human. As much as I wanted to tell Soren to fuck off, that I didn't believe in supernatural beings, I knew it was true; the story Archer told me about how long he'd known Hazel and the rest of ancestors was proof that he wasn't merely mortal. Not to mention that he openly did the cool disappearing-into-thin-air thing around me.

"Stop being a creeper and going through my room." I crossed my arms over my stomach, matching his smug, arrogant stance. "And it just so happens that I tried to read the tome. Right after you gave it to me."

He cocked his head to the side and raised a brow. "You tried to read it? What does that mean? Was it not in English?"

I rolled my eyes. "Actually, it wasn't in any language at all because it was blank. Just a bunch of white pages in fancy leather binding. So thanks for all the 'answers.' They were very helpful," I drawled, starting to push past him. His hand closed around my wrist, spun me around to face him, and I yanked my arm from his grasp. "What the hell?" I snapped.

He released my wrist as quickly as he had grabbed it and said, "What do you mean, it was blank?"

I slid my hands in my back pockets and shrugged. "Just what I said. The pages didn't have any words on them."

His lips parted and his eyebrows drew together. "That's...that doesn't make sense."

"Looks like there aren't any easy answers after all. I guess I'll just keep messing with your non-human brother," I said with a smirk.

He scoffed with annoyance. "Gemma, this isn't the time to—"

"Look, your brother and I enjoy spending time together; we have a good time. Maybe you should try it; you might feel better if you released some of that excess energy and stopped putting your nose in my business!"

Soren chuckled, but there was no joy in it. "Don't pretend to know my agenda or my brother's. And who do you want me to have a good time with, you? I'd rather ram a hot poker in my eye."

I let loose a maniacal laugh. "Please, I've no desire to do anything with you. I am 100% sure the superior twin is taking care of my needs. And even if the book did have the answers in it, I don't know what in hell it matters to you. You clearly don't give a shit about me, and guess what? The feeling is mutual."

I turned on my heel to leave Soren, anger coursing through my veins. But before I could stop myself, I turned back to see if he was still there.

He wasn't and only a cloud of smoke remained.