Queen of His Heart [Sequel-Straight] pt.1

Queen of His Heart

King of Her Heart Sequel [Straight]

A/n  Fatima (pronounced Fah-tea-ma)

Somewhere in ancient west Asia

Quickly finishing the last line of her message by moonlight, Fatima rolls the scroll up tight before slotting it in the tiny space where the rocks have crumpled allowing a small passage to form between her bedroom chambers and the hallway. She hopes her only friend in this whole place, a servant girl, will deliver it to her parents. 

Three years ago she had never considered her life would be reduced to this nightmare. After her eldest sister Mahreen had married the other half of her soul, the marriages of her siblings and hers came quickly thereafter. 

Huda was the next having settled for a rich Prince from the south who although was not in line to be king was content to cater to her every whim and wish, of which Huda has plenty. Then months after that, Princes from all over came to court her, the second to last remaining daughter. Her single sister was too young to be married and so all attention was on her. She courted many suitors, most of whom were very interested in building a relationship with her family and taking a wife yet had little regard for the woman they would be taking as their wife. All but one that is. Shan had courted her, showering her with flowers and gifts for days waiting until she was finally comfortable enough to speak. From there he wooed her, spoke kind words of her beauty, complimented her dancing and asked for her desires in a mate. Time had slipped away like a perfumed dream and when her parents finally implored her for a decision regarding Shan, she had not buckled.

Their wedding had been a lavish affair and in her enamoured state she had not once considered the oddity that had been his lack of relations to the event. That ought to have been her first warning sign and yet innocent to the world, Fatima could not read it. Only once they had made the journey to his kingdom did his true colours show. 

She had known he already had 2 other wives and yet she had not been allowed to meet them. While she had no desire to wander around the streets of the kingdom as her sister had, she had been hoping for a tour and yet she got none. Even a tour of the palace she was not allowed. 

Instead in the small wing dedicated to her she was stored away. Castrated guards watched her every move. Servants with tongues severed attended to her with utmost dispassion. She was permitted to roam one of three places- her bedchambers, her private gardens and her private bathing area. Trapped like a bird in a cage, carefully watered, carefully groomed but spirit broken, her wings started withering. Only when her owner wished to play with her would he visit. In the dead of night he would enter for an hour or two to consummate their marriage before leaving however even those visits are few and far between now.

After the first few months he had grown tired of her, complaining of her detachment and of hearing her pleas. With her sanity fraying she contemplated a daring escape even if she were to be caught instantly at least it would break the monotony but that's when a little servant girl with wide, sympathetic eyes 'accidentally' dropped a book in her bedchambers.

Slowly they'd built from this foundation, the girl would drop books with scraps of paper tucked in them, some which had been written on in broken sanskrit with some arabic words in there. The writing and reading skills she'd learnt as a child rusty were finally becoming oiled again as she began communicating with her only friend. The guards noticed the book dropping and although they ignored it, Fatima's not sure if it's due to the kindness within themselves or simply because their King dismissed its significance.

Nonetheless, Fatima is grateful for the turn of fate. A seed of hope she hadn't known existed breaking through the harsh, dry lands. She protected it and fed it with her books and exchanges with the girl yet it was not enough. Fatima came to realise the only way it will bloom is if she is free. Escape seemed nearly impossible even with her tiny accomplice, until news of her parents' visit came. The birth of her nephew, son of her sister Mahreen, was the reason for their appearance. Fatima cannot imagine the numerous occasions they must have invited her to vacation at her home or the events that she has missed and the excuses her husband must have given for her absence. Regardless this was one absence he could not justify.

Under strict instructions she'd been allowed to dine with the family. She was not to speak to them other than to make polite conversation, Shan had threatened the death of Hina if she were to dishonour him in any way. And thus she obeyed. Her parents and brothers however she could tell, noted a distinct difference in her behaviour yet did not comment.

She could not explain to them her dire situation at the time but she hopes the scroll she has left will illuminate them. Mayhap even strategise to rescue her. But all she can do is pray and wait.