If You Give A Vampire A Brownie

Tyler had a mild concussion from the crash and was not at school the next day. Angela, being the caring ray of sunshine that she was, made him chicken noodle soup and delivered it to his house. Jessica's mom had hounded her about Edward Cullen and wanted to thank him personally for saving her daughter's life. Due to her long hours at her job, she settled for baking vegan salted caramel brownies for Edward despite Jessica protesting he didn't eat food and only photosynthesized sunlight like a plant. Her mom was not having it.

Thus, Jessica went into her Chemistry class with a tin of mouthwatering brownies she was not allowed to eat. Edward was at his usual seat and staring out the window. It was raining hard that day and the world outside was enveloped in a foggy haze like a dream. She took her seat beside him, placed the tin of brownies on the table and wordlessly slid it towards him.

He saw the heart-shaped tin and she inwardly cursed that her mother recycled Valentine's Day chocolates containers. He might think she was trying to ask him out again and she was definitely not. She would rather date a raccoon with rabies or a carton of expired milk. Both would have more personality than him.

Edward was frowning at her again. Clearing her throat, she explained, "My mom made brownies as a thank you for yesterday. They're vegan and gluten-free."

He eyed the unopened tin, his face impassive. "I don't eat sweets."

"Maybe you can give them to your siblings?" she suggested. "My mom will kill me if I eat them. Believe me. There were threats."

Especially after Jessica and her little sister, Emily, absconded with the first batch of brownies and ate them while hiding in the tree house like the bandits that they were. Her mother had been furious. She thought she saw Edward's mouth quirk in an echo of a smile but it disappeared just as quickly. She probably made it up.

She pushed the tin closer towards him. "Just give it to your mom or something."

He pushed the tin back towards her. "None of us eat sweets. You should give it to your friends instead."

A spark of familiar irritation flashed through her. He probably thought her mother's brownies weren't good enough for him. She smiled wider to hide how she wanted to slap him. She pushed the tin back towards him.

"They were made just for you," she insisted, imagining herself shoving the brownies down his ungrateful throat if he rejected them one more time. "Please just take them."

He looked like he wanted to argue but just sighed, finally taking the tin and shoving it into his backpack. Relieved, she tried to pay attention as Mr. West began his lecture for the day. Edward said nothing to her as per usual. Like yesterday didn't happen.

She thought about it all night. The phantom touch of his arms around her, his shocked expression like he couldn't believe his own actions and the many questions spinning in her head plagued her. How did her get to her so fast? Was it an adrenaline rush or very good timing? His genetically superior long limbs letting him move faster to get to her at the last second?

Why did he save her? He'd never been one to hide his disdain of anyone who wasn't his family. He skimmed the edge of chillingly polite and downright rude for years anytime he had to interact with any of their classmates. And as for his treatment of Jessica, she was surprised he didn't just let her die.

Edward turned to her, golden eyes wide in incredulity as if he was able to guess what her thoughts were. She eyed him warily, watching his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed. The pale column of his throat was like paper, the skin nearly translucent and she could see the blue veins underneath. He looked bloodless.