Stupid Cupid

Jessica had to stay at school after classes for a Student Council meeting. Valentine's Day was coming up and the Singing Telegrams were going to be implemented again this year which meant they had to have auditions for people who wanted to be part of the band. The council members had dubbed the band 'The Sweethearts'. The telegrams were started in their Freshman Year by that year's Student Council and Jessica had joined the band as a joke. She underestimated how many times she would have to sing I Want It That Way and had spent the whole day, hunting people down and practically assaulting them with the lyrics.

She didn't want to join the band this year but all the council members had pleaded she reconsider. She only gave in with the condition that the Backstreet Boys could not be requested. Angela borrowed her mom's guitar and Lauren acted as band manager, taking care of requests and collecting payment. Eric and Ben Chenney designed shirts for the band and Katie Marshall printed them for free at her parents' store.

They reluctantly came to school wearing the horrifying t-shirts that had a big smiling cartoon heart holding a microphone. Edward was waiting by her locker, holding up a big bouquet of roses. He burst into laughter at her t-shirt and she smacked him on the arm. It didn't deter him and he hid his face behind the bouquet as he howled like a hyena.

"I am doing this for the enjoyment of people," she told him, tartly. "I don't appreciate you laughing at me."

"Your altruism is admirable," he replied, that stupid smile showing off his perfect white teeth. "I'm surprised you're not wearing angel wings to go with the aesthetic."

Angela appeared, carrying a cardboard box. Jessica frowned when she saw what was inside. Oh no. This was beyond the pale.

"Hi, Jess, Edward," her best friend greeted them. "Katie and I spent all night making these so please just take a pair and put them on."

"I didn't agree to costumes," Jessica argued. "This is extortion."

"We're all wearing them," Angela was wearing a pair of wings and a headband with a glittery halo. "I don't have time to force you into them so...Edward, could you please grab a pair for Jessica and use any means to get her to wear them?"

"Gladly."

Edward grabbed a pair of those Cupid wings and a headband with his free hand. He turned to Jessica and shook the offensive things at her. She slapped his hand away. Angela ran off to find other members of the band to harass while Jessica cursed herself for ever letting people know she could sing.

"Jessica," he said. "You can put them on willingly or I will get Jasper to use his powers on you. Angela did say 'any means'."

She snatched the wings from him and dropped her backpack on the ground to put them on. "You're a monster."

He just smiled at her and placed the headband on her, straightening the wire that kept up the halo. "There. You look very cute."

"I am not cute," she grumbled. "I am terrifying."

"Like a hamster."

He handed her the bouquet and she felt so silly, holding that giant bouquet while looking like a dollar store Cupid.

"I hate you."

"Whatever you say," he said before asking. "Who do I request the songs to?"

She glared at him. "Don't you dare."

He didn't say anything and walked away from her. She watched him go and wondered what he was planning. If he was going to do what she thought he was, she was driving his cursed Volvo into the ocean. And she needed to find Lauren before he did.