Chapter one.

The hospital was silent, a night where it was slow and the department found themselves almost bored. Until a patient was rushed in through the doors, visibly convulsing and losing a lot of blood. It had broken the serene silence and placed tension in the air.

At two AM House's phone rang. He graugily reached for it as he groaned into the speaker. "What do you want Wilson?" 

But instead of Wilson answering, it was Cuddy. There was a sense of urgency to her voice: "House get here quick, we have a patient loosing her skin in chunks and about to die on us if we dont get a diagnoses quick!"

House didnt reply, instead he closed his flip phone and got out of bed. When he arrived to the hospital, the patient was being given blood and hooked to a respirator. The doctor could smell what was wrong, but he couldn't share it with the staff. Instead he pursed his lips and hobbled over as a couple were standing by her bedside. They both wore a fake tan and casual smiles while their daughter was dying in her hospital bed, 'classy'.  He thought, before looking at her closer. She was young, twelve it would say on her charts. Frail and full of gashes. If House thought she was human he would have diagnosed it as necrosis.

The blood wasn't right, despite the matching blood type she needed something more. Her skin was almost paper white, he knew his team didn't have much time. 

"Did your daughter get bitten by any strange men lately?" House asked the couple as he jolted them from their conversation. "Excuse me, what?" The woman asked as her husband puffed out his cheeks.

"I'm sorry am I interupting your little pleasant conversation? I would love to let you both continue but your child is dying while you two idiots are barely paying attention, much like when I asked if any strange man bit her recently but I'm sure you both have better things to talk about." 

The couple looked stunned, before finally the man decided to speak. "I'm not sure what you're talking about, but she was perfectly healthy this morning before she became like this in the middle of the night." 

He said in a worried voice. House could immediately smell the bullshit. He looked around the check if anyone else was within the room, the nurse had just left and only the four of them remained. The doctor leaned on his cane before casting a nasty glare to the couple, before bursting out in laughter. 

"That was the most failed attempt at bullshittery I've ever heard! You and I both know what's happening, you didn't need me for that. No vampire ends up like that in one day, let alone an evening. This had taken weeks of being unable to feed and out in the sun. Why do you think we use sunscreen?" 

House hooked the man's neck with his cane, pulling his face close to his own as he bared his fangs in a malevolent grin. "You two are going to pay for wasting my time and sleep, and well for making your kid suffer as well." 

His jaws flashed open. 

-----------------------------------------

"No thanks, I'm a neonatalist." 

House replied as Cuddy rubbed her temples. "Your treatment had costed a child both of her parents and legal guardians. You saved her life, but could you have at least took some blood?" 

He rolled his eyes, popping a pill into his mouth as Lisa sighed heavily. 

"I saved her life, gotten rid of two neglectful parents who were to dumb to even raise their own species, and even cleaned up the mess and placed the bodies in the morgue all neately! Did I forget to mention that I saved her life?" 

His words were always annoyingly bitter, but Cuddy was already used to it. "I would take her in but she's a vampire like you, you out of all people know what it's like and how to handle it. At least let her stay the night and I'll find her somewhere in the morning." 

She was right, there were no other known vampires she could get a hold of, and only she knew that a vampire was working for her hospital. House thought for a moment, before coming up with an idea himself. 

"Alright Lisa Cuddy, if you pay me I'll let her stay the night and even monitor her and her treatment. But unless you have any other ideas that probably wont convince me, because yah know I hate the crotch goblins." 

House smirked as Cuddy face palmed herself and groaned. "Alright, I'll pay you. Just one night, and I'll have her out of your hair by the morning." 

"You owe me." House rolled his eyes before leaning against his cane, prompting Cuddy to hold her head. "Thank you."

She murmured as he hobbled out, being called to a team meeting. 

----------------------------------------

She almost had her full color back. Her cheeks were blushed while freckles scattered across her face. The little vampire was almost alive appearing, but House still took the needed precautions and slathered sunblock across her exposed skin and wrapped a wide scarf around her neck and shoulders. She didn't protest, but instead remained silent as she stared down at the ground. 

"Are you mute kid? You haven't said anything." 

He asked her, getting a soft nod in response. House heavily sighed, before taking her small hand into his and leading her outside with an umbrella over them both. House didn't need it, but it would be terrible to have his patient's skin falling off again. Outside it was bright and sunny, with parking sizzling from the heat. The girl paused for a moment as she reached into one of her pockets and pulled out a pair of sunglasses, offering them to House as he widened his eyes in surprise before shaking his head. 

"No I dont need them, but you should use them tho. The optrisist is out on vacation for a few weeks." 

He was about to move onwards when a soft voice could be heard, weak but also a hint of annoyance. "No, it's because your eyes are turning red because you haven't drank enough blood today and you're going to draw attention to us."

She finally spoke, once again almost pushing them to him as he grabbed them and shoved them on.

"Thanks kid, but I thought you were mute or something." 

He replied as she shook her head, placing her hands into her pockets and making her way to his vehicle as he hobbled after. "You guys didn't give me a reason to talk, you all had it figured out so why bother?"

She asked as House shook his head and grabbed her shoulder just a foot away from his vehicle.

"How did you know that was my car-"

"Isnt it obvious? You were staring at it while taking a direction towards it, and the make and size is one that would suit a well paid doctor." 

The girl rolled her eyes, shrugging herself out of House's grip as he was stunned, before there was a glimmer in his eye…

A new challenge. 

When they arrived to his apartment, she immediately went for the living room and sat on the couch, not even saying a world to the doctor. 

"Listen here brat, you're spending the night in my house, my rules. And you're going to listen because I can send you back without the need for Cuddy's money and-"

But before he could finish his sentence, she had already curled up tiredly. The child was exhausted and had been through a lot.

"Perhaps I should go a little easier on Rachael." House murmured.