Chapter seven.

House didn't answer when Wilson broke the news to him in private. Instead he swallowed two pills of Vykaden and hobbled towards their kitchen.

 There Rachael was, reading one of the many books she checked out from the library, her new claws having accidentally tore some of the pages. House took a seat next to her on one of the stools, leaning over to run his hand through her hair. 

"Hey kiddo, what's up?" 

House asked as she looked up and smiled. "I'm reading up on space, did you know that we might not be the only intelligent lifeforms out there?" 

She asked as House snorted and ruffled her hair. "Of course I do, Wilson came from Planet Care Bear." 

Rachael rolled her eyes before giggling. Wilson watched from the opening, wondering what House had on his mind. Eventually Greg got up and stood before Wilson, startling him as he was jolted from his train of thought.

"So you think I'd be like you and cry over papers saying I cannot adopt her?" 

House asked as Wilson blinked, before sighed as he crossed his arms. "This is social services, House this is the law we're talking about and legally she's a ward of the state."

He listened, his eyes wondering to Rachael for a moment as she seemed oblivious. He knew she could hear them. "And? This doesn't lift the rules I go by-"

"You're not above the law, you can twist and bend the rules in the hospital but this is bigger."

House wanted to silence his partner then and there, but he continued to let him speak. His focus was so much on Wilson that he didn't notice the empty stool at the island. 

"There is something I need to tell you Wilson, but it will have to wait until-" 

He finally turned his head and noticed that Rachael wasn't in her spot. For a split moment he thought nothing of it, the kid have moved somewhere else within the apartment. But her shoes and bag were gone. House's heart dropped.

"Meet me in the car." 

House said before rushing out the door.

-------------------------------------------

It was cold and dark out, snowing softly as the flakes came down in wet clumps. They clung to Rachael's black hair as she walked through the streets rather swiftly with her supernatural powers. She found herself in the outer parts of the city, at an old motel that appeared to be abandoned. But to Angela and Mathew, this was home. It was the only other place Rachael knew was familiar. She sat on a dusty bed with a book in her lap. Her mind mulled over Wilson's words, having already made the decision that nobody would take her from the two people she called home.

 Even tho she was undead, Rachael could feel herself shiver as a deep chill spread through out her body. She suddenly hunched over before vomiting all over the book in her lap. "You shouldn't have made such a rash decision, you should also know that I'd never allow them to take my kid without a fight."

Rachael heard before falling into a pair of warm arms. House lifted her as Wilson passed him a needle full of red. He injected it into her, her pale skin slowly coming back to its normal self as both men left the building with Rachael wrapped in a blanket. 

They both sat inside Wilson's car, with Rachael being cradled in House's arms as blood was being fed to her. Both men knew why she ran away so suddenly, but only House knew how she felt. 

"Greg….I know you're a vampire."

House turned his attention to his boyfriend as he gazed at him with watery eyes.

"I also know how much you care for this girl, you need this….you need her. I'll do whatever it takes for us to become a family." 

He hugged House close as he kissed him deeply, causing the older vampire to blush as he was held close. "A family with better parents, we suck at it currently but I think we can fix that." 

Greg murmured into Wilson's neck. He could feel the pulse of his vein and smell the scent of blood beneath. His fangs slipped out as he bit down into flesh and lapped up his lover's blood. 

Wilson winced in pain as his teeth gritted, the sensation being nothing he had felt before. But he reached up to stroke House's hair as his blood was being drained away. After a few gulps, the older vampire sealed the human's neck, and once more rested his head on his shoulder. 

The radio played softly in the background, but all Rachael could hear were the faint voices of her parents. She felt safe in their arms. "Tell Cuddy that I'm going to be using my sick day tomorrow, I need to straighten things out with the adoption agency and look after Rachael instead of being neglectful." 

House spoke as Wilson squeezed his shoulder before driving them all home.