Chapter Two.

She murmured in her sleep, facing the cushions as her back was turned to the television. There was a cold chill to herself as it caused her to visibly shiver beneath the comforter. Suddenly there was a pinch to her neck neck as she suddenly clenched her jaws. The pinch soon turned into a sudden deep, tearing pain as she screamed. 

House heard it from his bedroom, the scream had tore him awake from his midday nap. Cuddy had given him the day off from having been called in late, she didn't know much on vampires. He found her shaking on the coach as she was thrashing. "Damn it kid!" He started to gently shake her, before her arms suddenly sprang out and wrapped around his shoulders as she sobbed into his chest. 

He froze, not knowing what to do next as he barely knew the child. But he also didn't want to make it worse. House patted her back, before remaining still as she sobbed it out. When Rachael was finished, she silently went limp in his arms as she was exhausted. House placed her back on the couch, brushing the hair out of her face.

"It seems you had a night terror, which isn't surprising from the trauma you've highly likely endured before arriving at the hospital." 

House said matter of factly as she stared at him from behind strands of her dark hair. He fell silent, before motioning with his hand to the kitchen. "You pretty much slept for half the day, are you starving kid?"

He asked as she blinked, before nodding. Rachael was in the clothes she was provided with at the hospital, while House was surprisingly in a pair of pajama pants and T shirt. He looked down at himself and shrugged.

"Well, I'll go whip up some good old blood, yummy! And you're gonna probably want to brush those fangs and straighten yourself out before I take you back to Cuddy. Bathroom is down the hall to the left." 

She watched him hobble into the other room before getting up and doing her usual routine. When House turned around from what he was cooking, Rachael was already at the table, her legs dangling as she was too small, in Doctor House's opinion. "So kid, what's been bothering you?"

House asked as Rachael looked up at him. It would have been extremely insensitive, but he sensed that it was likely helpful to her situation. 

"They weren't my parents-"

"Oh?" 

"I don't remember my parents, I can't really remember anything before they took me."

She simply said as she got up to pour herself a cup of coffee, despite the fact she was twelve. House placed down a plate of dull red pancakes as he took the coffee cup from her and sipped it himself. "Go on." House beckoned as he motioned for her to sit. She took a seat, looking confused at the pancakes before her.

"Dig in, I promise they wont give you the shits. Our kind can consume actual food with blood mixed heavily into it."

Rachael cautiously poked the pancakes with her fork, before taking a bite. "I remember waking up in the trunk of a car with my throat torn open but I was still alive. Well, not alive but you know what I mean." 

She spoke very maturely for a twelve year old, it intrigued House as he took a seat across from her and dug into his own plate. 

"Devin and Andrea wanted a fledgling, but they didnt want a "stupid" kid like me." She sighed, digging into her pancakes as House listened. "Stupid kid, now I wouldnt agree that all kids are stupid but they can get on your nerves. But I'm not saying you did, but the responsiblity have pushed them over the edge...so really its their own fault for taking on something they were too irresponsible for, not yours."

She didnt know how to reply, but she couldn't help but feel a weight lifted off her shoulders. 

----------------------------------