Chapter eight.

She woke up to the sounds of snoring, ticking, a soft ringing in her ears. Beside her was Wilson, asleep as she could see the unmistakable scars on his neck. Across the room was House, his cane between his thighs as he was looking through papers. Rachael didn't make a sound, but House had already spoken up.

"Your little adventure nearly cost you your own life. But, I don't blame you for making a run for it from the system." 

He was sitting in an office chair, occasionally signing a paper as he read the documents in hand. House was a whiz at paperwork and the workings of vampire law and society. Meanwhile, Rachael was just now realizing how much of a headache she had as she pulled the blanket over herself. Beneath it Wilson hugged her, stroking her dark hair as he felt contempt with being a parent.

The "little test" House pulled on him awhile back now seemed useless. He pressed his lips against her forhead to feel for any remenents of the fever she contracted in the snow. 

House watched in silence, a faint smile to his lips. The vampire's coldness was melting away slowly, now that he had two lights in his life. But he was also afraid of losing them both, and he knew it would be his fault. For a moment he was hesitant to sign the last document, clicking his pen in thought.

House's gaze fell on them once more and suddenly his doubts eased away, this was his home: A human man with a heart, and a young vampire who needed him greatly. House was needed. He clicked the pen once more before signing away on the sheet of paper. 

He sat on the opposite side of the bed, before joining Wilson in holding her close.